|John Lance Harris|
|Member of the Louisiana House of Representatives
from the 25 district
January 9, 2012
|Preceded by||Chris Roy, Jr.|
|Louisiana House Majority Leader|
December 10, 2012
|Preceded by||Tony Ligi|
Alexandria, Rapides Parish
|Spouse(s)||Leetha Ellen Harris|
John Lance Harris (born June 1961) is a businessman, farmer, and cattleman from Alexandria, Louisiana, who is a Republican member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from District 25. Harris owns the Leebo's chain of convenience stores.
In the nonpartisan blanket primary held on October 22, 2011, Harris defeated his only opponent, fellow Republican Barett Byrd, a retired colonel in the United States Marine Corps from Woodworth. Harris succeeded Democratic Representative Chris Roy, Jr., of Alexandria, effective January 2012. Harris defeated Byrd, 7,577 votes (55.5 percent) to 6,088 (44.6 percent) to claim the position. Harris was elected chairman of the Louisiana Republican legislative delegation in December 2012. Since Republicans currently hold a majority in the House, Harris is the Majority Leader.
In 2013, Harris endorsed Governor Bobby Jindal's decision to withdraw a plan to increase sales taxes while at the same time repealing the state income tax. Jindal dropped the plan after opposition surfaced in public opinion polls and among legislators. "While repeal is off the table for this legislative session, we will continue to work on the issue so that we can craft a responsible way to achieve our objectives in reforming the tax code in the future," Harris said.
- "Byrd, Harris vying for open Louisiana House District 25 seat". Alexandria Daily Town Talk, October 13, 2011. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "Byrd to seek Louisiana District 25 seat held by Roy". Alexandria Daily Town Talk, July 14, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- "Rep. Roy opts for family time over running for reelection". The Town Talk, July 20, 2011. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Louisiana primary election returns, October 22, 2011". staticresults.sos.la.gov. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- ""Alexandria Rep. Harris supports shelving of Jindal's income tax repeal", April 16, 2013". Alexandria Daily Town Talk, April 17, 2013.
|Louisiana House of Representatives|
Chris Roy, Jr.
|Louisiana State Representative from District 25 (Rapides Parish)
John Lance Harris