Kasischke at the National Book Critics Circle Awards, March 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
|Alma mater||Columbia University;
University of Michigan
|Notable award(s)||National Book Critics Circle Award|
Laura Kasischke (born 1961) is an American fiction writer and American poet.
Life and work
Kasischke's literary works have been recognized and highlighted at Michigan State University in their Michigan Writers Series.
Her novel The Life Before Her Eyes is the basis for the film of the same name, directed by Vadim Perelman, and starring Uma Thurman and Evan Rachel Wood. Kasischke's work is particularly well received in France, where she is widely read in translation. Her novel A moi pour toujours (Be Mine) was published by Christian Bourgois, and was a national best seller.
Kasischke was awarded the 2011 National Book Critics Circle Award in poetry for Space, In Chains. Her work has received the Juniper Prize, the Alice Fay di Castagnola Award from the Poetry Society of America, the Pushcart Prize, the Elmer Holmes Bobst Award for Emerging Writers, and the Beatrice Hawley Award. She is the recipient of two fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, as well as several Pushcart Prizes. In 2005 she was The Frost Place poet in residence and in 2009 she was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in Creative Arts - Poetry
- Wild Brides (New York University Press, 1991)
- Housekeeping in a Dream (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 1995)
- Fire and Flower (Alice James Books, 1998)
- What It Wasn't (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2002)
- Dance and disappear. Univ of Massachusetts Press. 2002. ISBN 978-1-55849-352-0. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Gardening in the dark. AUSABLE Press. 2004. ISBN 978-1-931337-22-9. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Lilies Without. Copper Canyon Press. 25 December 2012. ISBN 978-1-61932-072-7. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Space, in Chains. COPPER CANYON. 2011. ISBN 978-1-55659-333-8. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Suspicious River (Houghton Mifflin, 1996)
- White bird in a blizzard. Hyperion. 1999. ISBN 978-0-7868-6366-2. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- The Life Before Her Eyes. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 11 November 2002. ISBN 978-0-547-54145-7. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Boy Heaven. HarperCollins. 17 March 2009. ISBN 978-0-06-188057-5. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Be Mine (Mariner Books, 2007) ISBN 9780547906843
- Feathered. HarperCollins. 5 May 2009. ISBN 978-0-06-190950-4. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- In a Perfect World. HarperCollins. 6 October 2009. ISBN 978-0-06-194182-5. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Made In Michigan Writers: Eden Springs. Wayne State University Press. 2010. ISBN 978-0-8143-3533-8. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- The Raising: A Novel. HarperCollins. 15 March 2011. ISBN 978-0-06-204238-5. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Alice James Books > Author Page > Laura Kasischke
- "Laura Kasischke". University of Michigan. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- U-M English MFA Program: Faculty Profile: Laura Kasischke
- "Michigan Writers Series". Michigan State University Libraries. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Alice James Books > Beatrice Hawley Award Winners List
- Laura Kasischke - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor > Bike Ride with Older Boys by Laura Kasischke
- Boston Review > Review by Stephen Burt of Lilies Without by Laura Kasischke
- The Iowa Review > Laura Kasischke > Zeus
- Laura Kasischke: Poetry Foundation > Author