The OSI model is a 7-layer abstract model that describes an architecture of data communications for networked computers. The layers build upon each other, allowing for abstraction of specific functions in each one. The top (7th) layer is the Application Layer describing methods and protocols of software applications. It is then held that the user is the 8th layer.
- Layer 8: The individual person.
- Layer 9: The organization.
- Layer 10: Government or legal compliance
Since the OSI layer numbers are commonly used to discuss networking topics, a troubleshooter may describe an issue caused by a user to be a layer 8 issue, similar to the PEBKAC acronym, the ID-Ten-T Error and also PICNIC.
Political economic theory holds that the 8th layer is important to understanding the OSI Model. Political policies such as network neutrality, spectrum management, and digital inclusion all shape the technologies comprising layers 1-7 of the OSI Model.
A network guru t-shirt from the 1980s shows Layer 8 as the "financial" layer, and Layer 9 as the "political" layer.
Similar pseudo-layers in the TCP/IP model
In the TCP/IP model, the 4-layer model of the Internet, the 5th layer is analogously sometimes described as the political layer (and the 6th as the religious layer). This appears in RFC 2321, which is a humorous April Fools' Day RFC published in 1998.
- Linux Gazette carries a regular column called Layer 8 Linux Security.
- Layer 8 is a clothing brand owned by Adjmi Apparel Group focused on base layer athletic wear. Its slogan is, "The body was created with 7 layers of skin, Layer 8 is the ultimate layer to insure comfort..."
- Layers 8, 9, and 10 are sometimes used to represent individuals, organizations, and governments for the user layer of Service Oriented Architectures. See OSI User Layers figure for details.
- Gregg, Michael (2007-05-01), "OSI: Securing the Stack, Layer 8 -- Social engineering and security policy", TechTarget
- NCSU Layer 8 Initiative
- Ian Farquhar, Engineering Security Solutions at Layer 8 and Above, December 7, 2010
- News article on the "eighth layer"
- Mosco, Vincent (1996), The Political Economy of Communication: Rethinking and Renewal, SAGE Publications, Inc, ISBN 0-8039-8560-6.
- ISC 9 layer t-shirt
- IETF, RFC 2321, 1998-04-01
- Layer 8 Linux Security