Leslie Alexander (businessman)
|Born||1943 (age 69–70)|
|Alma mater||B.A. New York University
J.D. Thomas Jefferson School of Law
|Known for||owner of the Houston Rockets|
|Net worth||$1.2 billion (2006)|
|Spouse(s)||Nanci Shnapier Alexander (divorced)|
Alexander was raised in a Jewish family In New Jersey. In 1965, Alexander graduated from New York University with a bachelor's degree in economics and later earned his juris doctor from the Thomas Jefferson School of Law. From 1978 to 2009, Alexander was a member of the California State Bar. He started his career trading options and bonds for the Wall Street firm, Lawrence Kotkin Associates. In 1980, he left to form his own investment company, The Alexander Group. He also owns a 20% stake in First Marblehead, a private student loan company.
Sports team ownership
Alexander bought the Rockets in July 1993. In his first season as owner, the Rockets won their first-ever NBA title. They repeated as champs in 1995. A new arena, the Toyota Center, was opened in 2003. He was named the best owner in the NBA by Forbes in 2008. He also owns a vineyard on Long Island and the related company Leslie Wine, launched in 2008. He also has a residence in Houston.
From 1997 until early 2007, Alexander was the owner of the WNBA's Houston Comets. The Comets won the league's first 4 WNBA championships from 1997 to 2000. He sold the team to Hilton Koch in January 2007. The Comets folded a year later.
In 2006, it was revealed that Alexander was amongst the 400 richest people in the USA, being valued at around $1.2 billion.
- Forbes: "The 400 Richest Americans - #322 Leslie Alexander September 21, 2006
- Mendelsohn, Ezra Jews and the Sporting Life : Studies in Contemporary Jewry XXIII edited by Institute of Contemporary Jewry Hebrew University of Jerusalem p. 98
- Rockets: Leslie Alexander Biography
- Leslie L. Alexander (Houston Comets)
- "Leslie Lee Alexander - #79581". State Bar of California. Retrieved June 27, 2011.
- WNBA disbands women's pro basketball team in Houston | Reuters
- Daily Mail: "Billionaire owner of Houston Rockets buys NYC's most expensive downtown Manhattan condo with outdoor INFINITY POOL and FOUR massive terraces for $42 million" September 13, 2013
- "The 400 Richest Americans: #322 Leslie Alexander". Forbes.com. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Real GM: "Follow The Money: Political Contributions Of NBA Owners" By Christopher Reina November 03, 2011