|Born||1972 (age 41–42)
MIT Sloan School of Management
|Term||2007 - Present|
Daryl Morey (born 1972) is an American sports executive. He is the current general manager of the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association. He was named Assistant General Manager on April 3, 2006 and succeeded Carroll Dawson as General Manager on May 10, 2007. Morey came to the Rockets after serving three years as SVP Operations for the Boston Celtics. While with the Celtics, basketball operations was a key part of his responsibilities, including the development of analytical methods and technology to enhance basketball decisions related to the draft, trades, free agency and advance scouting of opponents for the coaching staff. His hiring follows the recent Moneyball trend of adding more advanced statistical-based analysis to the traditional use of qualitative scouting and basic statistics. Several teams have hired executives with non-traditional basketball backgrounds, but the Rockets are the first NBA team to hire a general manager in this vein. He continues to be the chairperson for the annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. He is an avid Esports supporter and has gone to multiple MLG (Major League Gaming) events, and will serve on the Esports panel at the 2013 MIT Sloan Conference.
Morey graduated from Highland High School in Medina, Ohio before receiving a bachelor’s degree in computer science with an emphasis on statistics from Northwestern University, as well as an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Morey has completed seven seasons as the General Manager of the Houston Rockets. The team has made the playoffs three times and only won one playoff series.
Prior to his time with the Celtics, Morey worked as a Principal consultant with an emphasis on sports at The Parthenon Group, a leading strategy consulting firm. Morey was also a statistical consultant with STATS, Inc., the industry pioneer in the use of sports statistics highlighted in the Michael Lewis book Moneyball.
- http://www.thestar.com/article/345327 Morey's 'Moneyball' approach paying off
- Daryl Morey on Twitter
- Money Ballsy: Rockets G.M. Daryl Morey Takes a More Analytic View Than Other NBA Execs... Sports Illustrated. December 3, 2012.
- The Elephant on the Court - Predicting Performance in Basketball. The Economist. April 20, 2012.
- Success Comes From Better Data, Not Better Analysis. Harvard Business Review Blog Network. August 8, 2011.
- Discovering Hidden Gems: The Story of Daryl Morey, Shane Battier, and the Houston Rockets Harvard Business School. September 24, 2010.
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference This year's conference is being held on March 6, 2010.
- The No-Stats All-Star The New York Times. February 13, 2009.
- How Do You Know ... This Game Isn't Rocket Science? ESPN The Magazine. October 22, 2008.
- Houston’s G.M. Is a Revolutionary Spirit in a Risk-Averse Mind The New York Times. January 28, 2008.
- Rocket Science: Daryl Morey Brings Hard-Core Statistical Analysis to the NBA Houston Press. November 1, 2007.
- 10 Questions with Daryl Morey ClutchFans. May 22, 2006.
- Numbers game: Rockets hope GM-in-waiting turns out to be money Sports Illustrated: Marty Burns > Inside the NBA. April 25, 2006.
- Rockets see exec Morey as extra edge Houston Chronicle. April 16, 2006.
- Featured Alumni: Daryl Morey, MBA '00 MIT Sloan School of Management Alumni Network.
- Daryl Morey Playlist Appearance on WMBR's Dinnertime Sampler March 3, 2004
|Current heads of basketball operations in the National Basketball Association|
|Note: Those listed here either hold the title President of Basketball Operations or General Manager, or both.|