Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Jurisdiction||Los Angeles County, California|
|Headquarters||Boyle Heights, California
|Annual budget||$28,797,000 (2010)|
|Department executive||Mark A. Fajardo, M.D., Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner|
|Parent department||Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors|
The Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner (formerly the Department of Coroner) was created in its present form in Boyle Heights on December 7, 1990 by an ordinance approved by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, though it has existed in some form since the late 19th century. On September 3, 2013, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved the name change for the department, from the Department of the Coroner to the Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner.
On July 9, 2013, the Board of Supervisors approved the appointment of Mark A. Fajardo, the Chief Forensic Pathologist at Riverside County, as the new Medical Examiner-Coroner, at an annual salary of $275,000. He formally replaced Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran, who served 21 years as the Coroner, in August 2013.
It is the only coroner's office worldwide that has a gift shop.
List of coroners
Los Angeles County Coroner (1882-1967)
- H. Nadeau: ?-1883
- Andrew McFarland: 1883-1886
- James M. Meredith: 1886-1890
- W. A. Weldon: 1890-1893
- George W. Campbell: 1894-1899
- L. T. Holland: 1899-1901
- John H. Trout: 1901-1908
- Calvin Hartwell: 1908-May 19, 1920
- Frank Nance: May 1, 1921-May 31, 1945
- Ben H. Brown: June 1, 1945 – November 6, 1953
- Edward A. Winstanley: November 7, 1953-March 19, 1957
- Theodore Curphey: March 19, 1957 – October 25, 1967
Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner for the County of Los Angeles
- Thomas Noguchi: October 26, 1967-April 27, 1982
- Ronald Kornblum: April 27, 1982-July 1, 1990
- J. Lawrence Cogan (Acting): July 2, 1990 - February 18, 1992
- Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran: February 18, 1992 – August 11, 2013
- Mark A. Fajardo: August 12, 2013 - present
Orlando J. Bernon August 13, 2013
Assistant Chief Coroner
- Ed Winter (current), media spokesman for the Office, who has presided over the investigations into the deaths of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Marilyn Chambers, Corey Haim and Brittany Murphy.
- "Assessor". County of Los Angeles Annual Report 2009-2010. Public Affairs, Chief Executive Office. p. 68. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Countywide Classification Actions to Change the Name of the Department of Coroner and Implement the Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Final Budget". Chief Executive Office. County of Los Angeles. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Appointment, Salary, and Relocation Reimbursement for Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner". Chief Executive Office (County of Los Angeles). 9 July 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Villacorte, Christina (September 4, 2013). "L.A.’s first new coroner in decades faces tough tasks". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- LA County Coroner's Online Store URL accessed on October 20, 2011.
- "The Devils in the Diva", Mark Seal, Vanity Fair, June 2012, p.150 (quoting Dionne Warwick)