|Founders||Anthony A. Martino, Daniel I. Rhode|
|Headquarters||381 Brooks Road
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
|Products||Collision repair, auto painting|
|Net income||13.5 million|
MAACO Collision Repair & Auto Painting is an American franchisor of auto painting and collision repair shops based in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1972 by Anthony A. Martino and Daniel I. Rhode.
Ten years before MAACO's founding, Martino had launched AAMCO Transmissions with partner Robert Morgan. He created both names by using the first letters from his name (Anthony A. Martino).
In 1967, with close to 500 stores in operation, Martino sold AAMCO to Morgan.
In 1972, Martino opened a pilot auto painting center Wilmington, Delaware. He chose the name MAACO (Martino, Anthony A. and Co.) to instill confidence in potential franchisees who knew of AAMCO’s success. The new company grew quickly, with close to 200 franchises open in less than five years. In October, 2008, Driven Brands of Charlotte, N.C., a holding company which owns Meineke Car Care Centers, Inc. as well as Econo Lube and other auto service related concerns, purchased Maaco outright from Martino's family after his death in January 2008. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
In 1993, a MAACO franchise in Framingham, Massachusetts won a painting contract for Massachusetts State Police cruisers, which caused controversy after a Boston newspaper reported that some of the MAACO shops involved in the contract were owned wholly or partly by Jane Gnazzo, the wife of Jerold Gnazzo, the state's Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
MAACO Franchising, Inc., has been cited numerous times by Entrepreneur magazine as #1 in its category in the Annual Franchise 500 survey.
Since 1972, Maaco has repaired some 16.5 million vehicles. The company currently has 475 bodyshop locations across the United States and Canada. Maaco has trademarked the term North America’s Bodyshop. The franchises provide auto paint and auto body repair services for over 500,000 vehicles a year, more than any other paint and body repairer..
- "Hoover's - MAACO Financial Information - Financials". Hoovers.com. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- Andrea Estes and David Armstrong (June 16, 1993). "Registrar's wife owns 5 MAACO stores". Boston Herald (Boston, Mass.). Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- "MAACO Announces 10 Millionth Vehicle Painted". Theautochannel.com. 1997-03-20. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "PHILADELPHIA BUSINESS A CRASH PROGRAM FOR GROWTH MAACO CHAIN SEEKS TO REPOSITION ITSELF". Philadelphia Inquirer. May 22, 1989. pp. C01. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- /UPI-13871239768747/ "MAACO new sponsor of Las Vegas Bowl". UPI. April 15, 2009. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- "US Patent Office Trademark 77263657". Tess2.uspto.gov. Retrieved 2010-03-25.