|Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven|
|Studio album by Orphaned Land|
|Released||February 23, 2004|
|Recorded||July - October, 2003, Zaza Studios, Bardo Studios, Israel|
The Calm Before the Flood
|Orphaned Land chronology|
|Mabool LP album|
LP album cover (2005)
Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven is the third full-length studio album by the Israeli metal band Orphaned Land. It was released on February 23, 2004 through Century Media Records. There are two different versions of the album; in a CD version and an LP with different cover art for each. The album is also available as a limited edition version with a bonus live acoustic CD titled The Calm Before the Flood. It was also released on vinyl by Profound Lore Records as a 2LP album in a clear wax case limited to only 500 copies. The album also features two videos that were made for "Ocean Land" and "Norra el Norra" their first videos.
The album was made in a highly arranged fashion and took six years to be arranged, composed and produced and is therefore the main reason for the long wait between albums.
The album tells the story of three sons (Angels) of the seventh (in the mythology the number seven refers to God). The seventh was divided into three, representing the divide of the Abrahamic religion into three main streams: Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
Each angel was given a power and representation. The first angel is Judaism; he is represented by a Star of David and his power is magic. The second angel is Islam; he is represented by a half of moon and his power was his strength. The third angel is Christianity; he is represented by the cross and his power is his wisdom.
God had forbid the angels from reuniting because of fear of their strength. Ignoring the divine order, the angels united into one angel, who immediately got exiled from heaven to earth and was divided into three again, sentenced to fight each other until they can prove themselves and get back into heaven.
The angels then try to convince humanity to stop their sins and warn them of a coming flood as punishment if they do not. The album describes the journey of the three, their convincing, and in the end, their failure.
As of June 11, 2013, Mabool has a rating of 8.96 based on 543 votes on Metal Storm. This average ranks the album as the 2nd best record of 2004 and the 57th best album of all time on Metal Storm.
- "Birth of the Three (The Unification)" – 6:57
- "Ocean Land (The Revelation)" – 4:43
- "The Kiss of Babylon (The Sins)" – 7:23
- "A'salk" – 2:05
- "Halo Dies (The Wrath of God)" – 7:29
- "A Call to Awake (The Quest)" – 6:10
- "Building the Ark" – 5:02
- "Norra el Norra (Entering the Ark)" – 4:24
- "The Calm Before the Flood" – 4:25
- "Mabool (The Flood)" – 6:59
- "The Storm Still Rages Inside" – 9:20
- "Rainbow (The Resurrection)" – 3:01
The Calm Before the Flood track listing:
- "The Evil Urge" − 3:28
- "A Never Ending Way" − 3:14
- "Mercy" (Paradise Lost cover from One Second) − 3:46
- "The Beloved's Cry" − 6:42
- "The Orphaned's Medley" − 9:33
- Kobi Farhi − vocals, backing vocals, death growls, chants, spoken reading
- Yossi Saharon (Sasi) − lead guitar, clean guitars, acoustic guitars, classic guitars, saz, bouzouki, oud, solos on tracks 1, 5, 6, 7, and 11.
- Matti Svatitzki − rhythm guitar, clean guitars, acoustic guitars, solos on tracks 2 and 5.
- Uri Zelcha − bass, fretless bass
- Eden Rabin − keyboards, synthesizers, piano
Session members and guest musicians
- Oriental choir
- David Sassi
- Avi Ratzon
- Yariv Malka
- Kobi Farhi
- Yossi Sassi
- Eden Rabin
- Erez Caspi
- Moran ensemble
- Tali Ketzef
- Neta Gev
- Neta Kirschenbaum
- Michal Front
- Yael Front
- Naama Aharony
- Reut Venforero
- Noa Kalush
- Liad Dahari
- Rachel Reuven
- Yair Goren
- Yair Polishuk
- Eden Rabin
- Kobi Farhi
- Yossi Sassi
Production and other
- All music composed between the years 1997 - 2003 by Yossi Sassi, Matti Svatizki, Eden Rabin, Kobi Farhi, and Uri Zalcha (except song 8 - Egyptian Traditional).
- Additional composition on songs 1, 5, 6, 10 by Sami Bachar.
- Production management and arrangements by Kobi Farhi with the help of all Orphaned Land members.
- Recording Engineer: Erez Caspi
- Additional Recording Engineer: Simon Vinestock, Daniel Ya'ari
- Assistant Engineer: Marselo David Kovalsky, Rafi Nahmias
- "Moazin" (end of song 2) were sung and recorded secretly in "Taj Mahal", India by Kobi Farhi.
- Intro and Thunders were recorded by Kobi Farhi in India and Israel.
- Concept and lyrics
- Kobi Farhi and Alon Miasnikov
- Additional lyrics by Eden Rabin
- All Hebrew and Latin texts (songs 5, 7, 11) taken from the Book of Genesis (Flood Story).
- Hebrew and Yemen texts (songs 3, 4) taken from Rabbi Shalom Shabazi's (1619–1720) poems and from "Halel" praising song (song 8).