Mani the parakeet
|Mani the parakeet|
|Species||Rose-ringed Parakeet (Psittacula krameri)|
|Known for||Making World Cup football predictions|
Mani the parakeet (hatched 1997), also called Mani the parrot, is a Malaysian-born Rose-ringed Parakeet who resides in Singapore. He has been an astrologer 'assistant' to M. Muniyappan since 2005, working from his Little India fortune-telling shop along Serangoon Road. M. Muniyappan is locally known to make his predictions using a simplified form of cartomancy.
Mani became a celebrity in Singapore, and later internationally, when he picked the correct winners for all of the 2010 FIFA World Cup quarter-final ties, as well as the Spain-Germany semi-final. However, Mani failed to predict the Spain – Netherlands final by choosing Netherlands as the winner of the 2010 World Cup. At one point on July 5, 2010, a day before the Uruguay-Netherlands semi-final match, Mani topped Google's "Hot Searches" in Singapore.
While Mani typically assisted his owner Muniyappan in fortune-telling in day-to-day work, it was his predictions over the matches of the 2010 FIFA World Cup that saw him gain widespread recognition.
The quarter-finals saw Mani guessing the four winners of the matches correctly – Spain, Germany, Uruguay and Netherlands. In the semi-finals, he predicted that Uruguay would beat Netherlands and Spain would defeat Germany, thereby leading to a Uruguay vs Spain final. Mani went on further to predict that Spain would be champions.
The Uruguay vs Netherlands prediction turned out to be wrong, with Netherlands progressing on to the final. As a result, Mani made a new prediction for the World Cup Final between Netherlands and Spain. It tipped a Dutch win over Spain. On the other hand, fellow oracle star Paul the Octopus of Germany went for a Spanish victory, resulted in some media outlets describing the game as an octopus-versus-parakeet showdown. However, Spain defeated the Netherlands 1-0 and Paul was proven to be triumphant.
|2 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Quarter-finals||Netherlands||v||Brazil||Netherlands||2-1||Correct|
|2 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Quarter-finals||Uruguay||v||Ghana||Uruguay||4-2 (PSO)||Correct|
|3 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Quarter-finals||Argentina||v||Germany||Germany||0–4||Correct|
|3 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Quarter-finals||Paraguay||v||Spain||Spain||0–1||Correct|
|6 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Semi-finals||Uruguay||v||Netherlands||Uruguay||2–3||Incorrect|
|7 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Semi-finals||Germany||v||Spain||Spain||0–1||Correct|
|11 July 2010||World Cup 2010||Final||Netherlands||v||Spain||Netherlands||0–1||Incorrect|
Method of divination
Mani exits his small wooden cage and chooses between two white cards — each punching the flag of the countries of a match that will be played. Mani will pick one of the cards up with his beak and flip it over, revealing the winner for the match.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2010)|
|Wikinews has related news: 'Psychic' octopus backs Spain to win World Cup|
Following his successful stint in predicting the semi-finalists of the World Cup, Mani rose to international stardom. The New Paper of Singapore was the first to feature his story and predictions, and newspapers from across the globe soon followed suit – partially as a result of The New Paper's frequent broadcast on the bird. News agencies including the AFP and Associated Press ran reports on Mani, alongside newspapers such as The Guardian, the Daily Mail, and American magazine Vanity Fair.
Mani's story is closely aligned with that of Paul the Octopus, who had 85% accuracy in his predictions for Germany in the in the tournament. The two animals chose opposing sides for the final, which caused some media outlets to term it as an Octopus vs Parakeet showdown. Mani chose the Netherlands, who lost to Paul's choice of Spain.
- "Mani the parakeet video: Bird picks Holland to win World Cup". The Washington Post. 9 July 2010.
- "'Mani the parakeet' picks Netherlands as World Cup winner". Channel NewsAsia. 8 July 2010.
- "Mani's a mini celebrity". The New Paper. 7 July 2010.
- "'Psychic' parakeet picks Netherlands as World Cup winners". AFP. 10 July 2010.
- "Did you follow the Mani-Maker?". The New Paper. 4 July 2010.
- "A little birdie told us... Spain will be champs". The New Paper. 6 July 2010.
- "World Cup Final a Battle of Octopus vs. Parakeet". CBS News. 9 July 2010.
- "WORLD CUP 2010: Paul the Psychic Octopus has competition as Mani the parakeet pecks Holland as his winners". London: Daily Mail. 9 July 2010.
- "Octopus Paul vs Mani the parakeet: Who will triumph?". Yahoo! Singapore. 10 July 2010.
- Batty, David (2010-07-12). "Paul the 'psychic' octopus wins again in World Cup final". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- "The Associated Press: S'pore World Cup-forecasting parakeet picks Dutch". Associated Press. 10 July 2010.
- "Pulpo Paul has World Cup rival: meet Mani the psychic parakeet". London: Guardian. 9 July 2010.
- "Mani the World Cup–Predicting Parakeet Does Not Think Paul the Psychic Octopus Could Be More Wrong". Vanity Fair. 9 July 2010.
- YouTube: Singapore Psychic Bird Predicts Holland to win World Cup 2010 (video of Mani in action)