Manningford shown within Wiltshire
|Population||385 (2001 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Manningford is a civil parish in Wiltshire, England. The parish includes the villages of Manningford Abbots, Manningford Bohune, Manningford Bohune Common and Manningford Bruce, together known as the Manningfords.
Manningford Abbots or Abbas
The eastern third of the Parish, so- called from its ownership by the Abbot of Hyde Abbey, Winchester, founded by Alfred the Great. The Abbot also had the chapelry at Alton Priors. He held it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1547 it went to the Seymour family (Dukes of Somerset and then Northumberland) until it was split up in 1768. There was probably a parish church in the 10th century and certainly one in 1291. Its dedication is unknown. The church was rebuilt in 1861-64 to designs by the architect S.B. Gabriel of Bristol.
The western third of the Parish, held by Amelric de Drewes 1086, name from 12th century Humphrey de Bohun (related to Bohun Earls of Hereford). The Church of England parish church of All Saints was built in 1859 to designs by the architect N.E. Clacey.
- Jonathan Green, science fiction and fantasy writer owned a property in Manningford Bruce from 2010-13.
- Brigadier Robert Hall, first chairman of Wiltshire Council
- Dr Robin Baker, Author. Lived in Manningford Bruce from 1944-1962.
In popular culture
- Caballito, 2012 novel by Robin Baker. For part of the story the narrator lives in Manningford Bruce. Contains descriptions of Firth Copse.
- Crittall, Elizabeth (ed.); Baggs, A. P.; Crowley, D. A.; Pugh, Ralph B.; Tomlinson, Margaret (1975). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Wiltshire, Volume 10: Swanborough hundred; the borough of Devizes.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (revision) (1975). The Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. ISBN 0 14 071026 4.
- "Area selected: Salisbury (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Pevsner & Cherry, 1975, page 330
- Book Description. Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 14 August 2013
Sources and further reading
- Crittall, Elizabeth (ed.); Baggs, A.P.; Crowley, D.A.; Pugh, Ralph B.; Tomlinson, Margaret (1975). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Wiltshire, Volume 10: Swanborough hundred; the borough of Devizes. pp. 106–119.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (revision) (1975). The Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. p. 330. ISBN 0 14 071026 4.
Media related to Manningford at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|