||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|Born||27 October 1958|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, television host|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, talking drum, piano, keyboard, blues harp, vocals|
|Associated acts||Peter Gabriel, Sting|
He became known by some in the music world in the mid-1980s mostly thanks to the success of Peter Gabriel's 1986 album So and his subsequent work with Sting on the albums …Nothing Like the Sun and The Soul Cages. Since then he has featured in the pop, rock and world music scenes playing with numerous bands and artists, including Afro Celt Sound System, Jeff Beck, Al Di Meola, Tears For Fears, Eurythmics, Simple Minds, Dire Straits, Jan Garbarek, Mango, Manu Chao, Loreena McKennitt, Youssou N'Dour, Robbie Robertson, Joan Armatrading, Joe Satriani, Tori Amos, Richard Wright, Kyle Eastwood, The Christians, Ryuichi Sakamoto and the aforementioned Peter Gabriel and Sting, with whom he has also toured extensively. Manu has also worked with Zlatan Stipišić Gibonni, a Croatian singer, on his albums Mirakul (2001) and Unca Fibre (2006), and has toured with Gibonni supporting the two albums.
He played drums on all tracks except one on Tracy Chapman's 1992 release Matters of the Heart.
In 1992, Katché released his first solo album, It's About Time, largely in the rock genre. His subsequent solo releases have all been jazz. He released his second solo album on September 12, 2005 entitled Neighbourhood, which features Jan Garbarek on saxophone, Tomasz Stanko on trumpet, Marcin Wasilewski on piano and Slawomir Kurkiewicz on double bass. His second ECM album, Playground was released in September 2007. In March 2010, Katché released Third Round, again on ECM.
From 2003 to 2007, along with producer Dove Attia, composer André Manoukian and singer Marianne James, he was one of the four judges in the TV-show Nouvelle Star, the French version of Idol series. He was the most feared of them for his wit and his severe judgement about the groove and the rhythm of the singing contestants.
In 2010 Katché composed the instrumental music for the six themed lands of the Belgian theme park Bellewaerde. An album, with the twelve compositions for the park, including music for the Mexican, western, Indian and Canadian areas, was sold in souvenir shops at the park.
Katche uses Yamaha drums, Remo drum heads, and Zildjian cymbals. He previously used Pro Mark and Vic Firth drumsticks, but currently uses Zildjian sticks, with whom he has his own signature model.
Heads: Remo, usually either coated ambassadors or pinstripes.
Sticks: Zildjian signature model (previously used Pro Mark hot rods and various Vic Firth models).
13" A new beat hi-hats
6" A custom splash
16" A custom crash
16" K dark crash thin
8" K splash
8" A custom splash
11" fx oriental "trash" splash
18" K dark crash thin
21" A sweet ride
16" fx oriental china trash
- It's About Time (1992)
- Neighbourhood (2005) ECM
- Playground (September 2007) ECM
- Third Round (March 2010) ECM
- Manu Katché (October 2012) ECM
- Live in Concert (2014) ACT
With Jeff Beck
- Who Else! (1999)
With Tracy Chapman
- Matters of the Heart (1992)
With Dire Straits
- On Every Street (1991)
With Peter Gabriel
- So (1986)
- Biko (1987)
- Passion (1989), Soundtrack
- Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats (1990), Compilation
- PoV (1990), Concert Video Album
- Us (1992)
- Secret World Live (1994)
- OVO (2000), Soundtrack
- Up (2002)
- Long Walk Home: Music from the Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)
- Hit (2003), Compilation
- Play the Videos (2004)
- Still Growing Up: Live and Unwrapped (2005)
- Back to Front: Live at O2 (2014)
With Jan Garbarek
- Ragas and Sagas (ECM, 1990)
- I Took Up The Runes (ECM, 1990)
- Twelve Moons (ECM, 1992)
- Visible World (ECM, 1995)
- In Praise of Dreams (ECM, 2003)
- Dresden: In Concert (ECM, 2009)
With Herbie Hancock
With Nigel Kennedy
- Kafka (1996)
With Tony Levin
- World Diary (1996)
With Loreena McKennitt
With Joni Mitchell
- Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm (1988)
- Misses (1996)
- The Beginning of Survival (2004)
- Dreamland (2004)
- Songs of a Prairie Girl (2005)
With Joe Satriani
- Joe Satriani (1995)
- The Electric Joe Satriani: An Anthology (2003)
- ...Nothing Like the Sun (1987)
- The Soul Cages (1991)
- Brand New Day (1999)
- All This Time (2001)
- At the Movies (2002)
- Sacred Love (2003)
With Louis Bertignac
- Elle et Lui (1993)
- "One Shot Not | Culture | fr - ARTE". Arte.tv. 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- ARC Music Productions International limited. "Hossam Ramzy Presents - The culmination of a 10-year dream". Rock the Tabla. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- "Discographie - Manu Katché | Manu Katché Website". Manu-katche.com. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
|Jean Yves d'Angelo | Manu Katché | Kamil Rustam|
|Studio Albums: Palace Hotel | Un an un jour une heure|
|soundtracks: Black Mic Mac 2|