Marcus Bleasdale (born 1968) is a British photojournalist, born in the UK to an Irish family.
Life and career
Bleasdale has covered the conflict within the Democratic Republic of Congo since 1998, which was published in his first book One Hundred Years of Darkness. His second book, The Rape of a Nation, addressed the issues of the conflict being fuelled by natural resource exploration and was awarded the Best Photography Book Award in 2009 by Pictures of the Year International in the USA.
He works regularly with Human Rights Watch, Médecins Sans Frontières and other NGOs to highlight health and human rights issues in several countries. He works to cover issues underreported by mainstream media. In 2007, Human Rights Watch and the Open Society Institute awarded Bleasdale a grant to continue his work on justice and accountability in the DRC.
Bleasdale has been one of the few journalists covering the conflict in Central African Republic in 2013/14, documenting the violence for Human Rights Watch alongside their Director of Emergencies, Peter Bouckaert. This has been covered by many publications and news channels, including National Geographic.
He has had his work published in the UK, Europe and the USA in Sunday Times Magazine, The Telegraph Magazine, GEO, The New Yorker, Time, Newsweek, National Geographic, Stern, Le Monde, The New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mother Jones (Masthead Photographer), Aftenposten and Die Zeit.
- Royal Photographic Society Hood Medal for meritorious performance in photography, with particular emphasis on photography for public service.
- Nominated for a News and Documentary Emmy Award with other members of VII Photo for the film Starved For Attention, made for Médecins Sans Frontières.
- Overseas Press Club of America Awards, Feature Photography Award for Last of the Vikings
- FotoEvidence Book Award for Inferno:Central African Republic.
- Federal Office Building (New York City) (2006)
- Chicago Public Library (2006)
- Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust (2006)
- Perpignan Visa Pour l’Image (2007)
- Nobel Peace Center, Oslo (2007)
- Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (France) (2008)
- United States Senate (2009)
- United Nations Headquarters, New York (2009)
- Henie-Onstad Art Centre, Oslo (2009)
- Columbia College (2009)
- The Houses of Parliament, UK (2010)
- United States House of Representatives (2011)
- Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting (2012)
- The White House (2012)
- Fotografiska Farming Out of Poverty (2013)
- Christies London (2015) IMPACT for Human Rights Watch.
- One Hundred Years of Darkness. London: Pirogue, 2003. ISBN 0-9543015-0-1.
- The Rape of a Nation. London: Mets and Schilt, 2009. ISBN 978-90-5330-671-0.
Charities and fundraising projects
Bleasdale has worked with charities and fundraising projects, including Human Rights Watch, UNICEF, Médecins Sans Frontières, Saint Kizito Orphanage in the DRC and Bleasdale is an Enough Project Fellow.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) starring Ben Stiller. Included photographs by Bleasdale and members of VII Photo.
- A Thousand Times Goodnight (2013) starring Juliet Binoche. Bleasdale was an advisor and had photographs included.
- Best Photography Book Award from POYi
- "Congo/Women Exhibition at House of Commons". Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- The Sunday Times Magazine
- The Telegraph Magazine
- The New Yorker
- National Geographic Magazine
- Le Monde
- The New York Times
- Mother Jones (Masthead Photographer)
- UNICEF Photographer of the Year
- OPC Olivier Rebbot Award for Best Foreign Reporting
- OSI Distribution Grant
- POYi Magazine Photographer of the Year Award
- The Alexia Foundation for World Peace
- The World Press Award
- Freedom of Expression Foundation Norway
- Days Japan Awards
- Magazine News Award in POYi
- Anthropographia Award for Photography and Human Rights
- The Hansel Mieth Award
- Freedom of Expression Norway
- Webby Award
- 'Dear Obama'
- Emmy Award nomination
- http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2014/contemporary-issues/marcus-bleasdale?gallery=1125526&photographer=180191 Last of the Vikings
- http://time.com/3841010/marcus-bleasdale-wins-robert-capa-gold-medal/ Marcus Bleasdale wins Robert Capa Gold Medal
- "Photography as a baton: Spreading the message of Congo’s women". Women's Media Center. 16 April 2012.
- "The Lord's Resistance Army: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted". Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- ART WORKS Project
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/starsandstories/10785930/Juliette-Binoche-I-choose-storeis-that-need-to-be-told.html The Telegraph Magazine
- Official website
- 'Rape of a Nation' by Bleasdale on MediaStorm
- 'Proof: Marcus Bleasdale on Shock and Change', National Geographic
- 'Shoot Stories', The Telegraph Magazine
- 'Capturing conflict mineral trade in DRC', TEDx Talks
- 'A visual journey into Africa', Bleasdale addresses The Skoll World Forum for Social Entrepreneurship
- New York Times Lens Biography