Maria Gadú performing at Citibank Hall.
|Birth name||Mayra Corrêa Aygadoux|
|Also known as||Maria Gadú|
December 4, 1986 |
São Paulo, SP
|Genres||MPB, pop, samba, bossa nova, rock, blues|
Maria Gadú (born Mayra Corrêa Aygadoux December 4, 1986; São Paulo, Brazil), is a Brazilian singer, songwriter and guitarist. She has been nominated twice for a Latin Grammy Award. She released her first album in 2009, self-titled Maria Gadú. Her single "Shimbalaie" became a number one hit in Italy during summer 2011, staying atop the FIMI chart for five straight weeks.
She started playing music as a child, after having learned the basics of reading musical notation, seven years later she began to record songs on cassette tapes. Her real musical training begins at the age of thirteen, when she began to give concerts in the bars of São Paulo, playing music by Adoniran Barbosa, Marisa Monte and Chico Buarque. In 2008 she moved to Rio de Janeiro and began playing in bars, and she attracted the attention of famous musicians such as Caetano Veloso, Milton Nascimento, João Donato among others. Maria Gadu gained renown playing "Ne me quitte pas" by Jacques Brel for Jayme Monjardim, who was in preproduction of the television series Maysa - Quando Fala o Coração (Maysa, when the heart communicates). Maysa Matarazzo, singer and mother of the director, had been very successful in the 1950s and 1960s singing this song, among others. Gadú's version was soon included in the soundtrack of the series that would premiere in January 2009. Gadú also had a small acting part in the series. As 2009 began, Maria Gadú prepared her first album with Rio Slap. She currently sings Blue Velvet with Tony Bennett on his cd Viva Duets.
|Album Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Multishow Ao Vivo - Maria Gadú||7||—||10||
|Maria Gadú e Caetano Veloso - Multishow Ao vivo||3||—||2||
|Mais Uma Página||5||48||22||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
- "Conheça Maria Gadú, cantora que caiu nas graças de Milton Nascimento e Caetano Veloso - O Globo".
- Sidney Rezende - CD: "Maria Gadu" (Maria Gadu) - Um bom começo (publicado em 04/08/2009)
- "Os Discos mais Vendidos do Brasil". Portal Sucesso.
- "Search for: Maria Gadú - Albums". italiancharts.com.
- "Search for: Maria Gadú - Albums". Portuguesecharts.com.
- "Certificazione Album fisici e digitali dalla settimana 1 del 2009 alla settimana 9 del 2012" (PDF) (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Search for: Maria Gadú - Singles". italiancharts.com.