2 May 1958 |
|Alma mater||University of Wollongong|
|Title||Chief executive of Anglo American|
Mark Cutifani (born 2 May 1958) is an Australian businessman and the current chief executive of diversified mining group, Anglo American plc. He was formerly CEO of South African gold mining company AngloGold Ashanti, a position he held from October 2007 until March 2013.
Early life and education
Cutifani was born and grew up in Wollongong, Australia. After leaving high school in 1976, he joined Coal Cliff colliery and enrolled in the University of Wollongong to complete a degree in Mining Engineering. He graduated in 1982, top of his class.
After working for Coal Cliff, he joined Kalgoorlie Gold Mines, the Western Mining Corporation, Normandy Mining and Sons of Gwalia. He became the managing director of Sons of Gwalia in March 2000, but resigned from his position on 14 February 2003, in a surprise move, to join Inco Limited in Sudbury, Canada. The Sons of Gwalia company entered administration 16 month later, in August 2004, following a financial collapse, with debts exceeding $800 million after suffering from falling gold reserves and hedging losses.
In 2007, Cutifani left Inco Limited, where he held the position of chief operating officer. On 17 September 2007, he joined AngloGold Ashanti, as a director of the company and was appointed CEO on 1 October that year. Cutifani was credited with dismantling AngloGold Ashanti's significant and toxic hedge book, allowing the company to benefit fully from the much higher gold spot price.
Shortly after joining AngloGold Ashanti, Cutifani introduced a campaign called "Safety is our first value". Research into the 2007 fatalities at the company had shown that 70% of the fatalities were caused by sub-standard operations or actions. Cutifani aimed to reduce the number of fatalities by changing the company's culture and improving communication, citing legacy issues from the past as a main cause for the fatalities. During his tenure, the fatality rate was reduced by 50%.
Cutifani is currently the Chair of the International Council on Mining and Metals, having been the Chairman of South Africa’s Chamber of Mines between 2012 and 2013 He is also a member of the International Advisory Committee for the Kellogg Innovation Network, a member of the Mining & Metals Steering Board and Governor of the Mining and Metals Industry Programme for the World Economic Forum. Cutifani is also is also a member of the Advisory Board for the Vale Columbia Centre on Sustainable International Investment and on the Board of Advisors for the Graduate School of Business at the University of Cape Town.
Cutifani has seven children from two marriages.
- Mark Cutifani miningweekly.com, accessed: 9 July 2010
- Anglo American's leadership, accessed: 14 April 2014
- Annual Report 2009 AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 9 July 2010
- Our executive team AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 9 July 2010
- Mark Cutifani, a veteran miner from the boots up The Financial Times website, published: 26 January 2014, accessed: 6 June 2014
- Mark Cutifani University of Wollongong website, accessed: 9 July 2010
- Anglo turns to an Aussie miner to dig it out of a $6bn hole The Sunday Times, published: 21 July 2013, website accessed: 6 May 2014
- Geologist brings 'new eyes' to Sons of Gwalia The Sydney Morning Herald, published: 20 January 2004, accessed: 8 February 2010
- SONS OF GWALIA LIMITED (SGW) delisted.com.au, accessed: 5 February 2010
- Sons of Gwalia's gold hedging had big holes The Sydney Morning Herald, published: 4 September 2004, accessed: 4 September 2009
- Ernst &Young agrees to $125m Sons of Gwalia settlement The West Australian, published: 4 September 2009, accessed: 4 September 2009
- AngoGold cuts hedge book to narrow losses The Financial Times, published: 7 February 2010, accessed: 6 May 2014
- Annual Report 2007 AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 13 July 2010
- Annual Report 2012 AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 6 May 2014
- AngloGold sides with Rio on sovereign risk issue The Age, published: 3 June 2010, accessed: 9 July 2010
- Future projects in jeopardy, say analysts The Australian, published: 3 June 2010, accessed: 9 July 2010
- Anglo names Cutifani as chief executive The Financial Times, published: 8 January 2013, accessed: 6 May 2014
- Mining is critical for the planet - Cutifani Mineweb, published 10 October 2013; accessed: 6 May 2014
- Cutifani new Chamber of Mines president Mining Weekly, published 6 November 2012; accessed: 6 May 2014
- KIN catalyst Brazil 2012 - The mining company of the future KIN Global, PDF accessed: 6 May 2014
- Mark Cutifani biography World Mining Congress, PDF accessed: 6 May 2014
- Mark Cutifani biography Vale Columbia Centre, accessed: 6 May 2014
- GSB Board of Advisors University of Cape Town, accessed: 6 May 2014
- UOW honors its 'magnificent seven' University of Wollongong, accessed: 6 May 2014