|Member of Parliament
for Edinburgh North and Leith
7 June 2001
|Preceded by||Malcolm Chisholm|
8 August 1953 |
Romford, Essex, England
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||University of St Andrews|
Mark Lazarowicz, (born 8 August 1953) is a British Labour Co-operative politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Edinburgh North and Leith since 2001. In October 2010, he was appointed as part of the shadow team for the Department for International Development along with Rushanara Ali with Harriet Harman in charge As of October 2011, his position of Shadow DFID Minister was taken over by Tony Cunningham.
He graduated from St. Andrews University where he had been Chairman of the St. Andrews University Labour Club with an MA in History in 1976, and the University of Edinburgh with an LLB in Law in 1992.
Lazarowicz served as a Labour Councillor on the City of Edinburgh Council from 1980 to 1996, and then from 1999 to 2001.
Mark Lazarowicz was elected as Member of Parliament for Edinburgh North and Leith in June 2001 and was re-elected in May 2005 and again in May 2010, for the now expanded Edinburgh North and Leith constituency.
He is currently a member of the House of Commons Environmental Audit Committee. He previously served on the Environmental, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee, the Scottish Affairs Committee and the Modernisation Committee.
Lazarowicz has succeeded in having two Private Member's Bills passed. In 2002 he piloted the Employee Share Schemes Bill through Parliament, and in 2006 the Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Bill,. He won the PRASEG Parliamentarian of the Year Award in 2006 for his work in promoting renewable energy.
In 2008 Lazarowicz lodged a further Private Member's Bill to restrict ship-to-ship oil transfers, with the aim of preventing spillages in the Firth of Forth. In response, the government introduced regulations to restrict such transfers in April 2010  which were then delayed, but eventually were brought into force.
In October 2008 Lazarowicz was made the Prime Minister's Special Representative on Global Carbon Markets and his report on the issue, Global Carbon Trading: a framework for reducing emissions was published in July 2009.
After the Daily Telegraph released details of some MPs' expenses claims in 2009, and in what the paper described as an attempt to head off embarrassing headlines, Lazarowicz announced he would repay half of the more than £5000 expenses he had claimed for legal fees regarding the extension of the lease on his London flat, saying the amount was "much higher than many of the public would be prepared to accept". Later he reversed his view, stating that his expenses were entirely within the existing parliamentary rules and that a lot of people and fellow MPs had questioned his decision to pay back the money: "Why on earth am I bothering to pay back the money? That's actually the view which has come back from a large number of people I have been in contact with. Having said that I have said I will pay it back, so I'll pay it back, because I actually accept at the end of the day the fundamental principle that MPs shouldn't actually benefit from property they have acquired." He eventually paid back £2740, having also found he had overclaimed £60 for taxi journeys.
- "Labour Shadow Cabinet | The Labour Party". .labour.org.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "General Election 2010: Lib Dem Challenge is seen off by Labour in city seats". The Scotsman. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Employee Share Schemes Bill". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Commons, Westminster (18 January 2002). "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 18 Jan 2002 (pt 1)". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Bill". Publications.parliament.uk. 12 May 2006. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Coughlan, Sean (9 March 2006). "UK | Magazine | Power from the people". BBC News. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Lazarowicz to introduce bill on ship-to-ship oil transfers". The Scotsman. 2 December 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Early day motion 308 - MARINE POLLUTION (S.I., 2010, No. 1228) (No. 2) - UK Parliament". Parliament.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Lazarowicz in call to end oil transfer safety delays". The Scotsman. 4 October 2010. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Lazarowicz hails tough new laws on oil transfers in Forth". The Scotsman. 13 December 2010. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- [dead link]
- "MP to pay back some expenses". Teletext. Retrieved 29 September 2009.
- "9am Briefing: Labour MP Lazarowicz to pay back £2500 in expenses". Edinburgh Evening News. 12 May 2009. Retrieved 29 September 2009.
- Moore, Matthew (13 May 2009). "MPs' expenses: Backbenchers rush to return money amid disclosure fears". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 September 2009.
- Mark Lazarowicz official site
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: Mark Lazarowicz MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Mark Lazarowicz MP
- BBC Politics
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Edinburgh North and Leith