Martini Shot is a Hollywood term that describes the final shot set-up of the day. According to Dave Knox, author of the film industry slang guide Strike the Baby and Kill the Blonde, the Martini Shot was so named because "the next shot is out of a glass", referring to a post-wrap drink.
Other named shots include:
- The Abby Singer Shot - The 2nd to last shot (named after an Assistant Director Abby Singer)
- The Abby Singer shot was born of efforts at efficiency. By giving the film crew notice that the end of the filming day was near they could begin to pack gear and and prepare for a company move.
- The Jonesy - The 1st shot of the day (named after Sarah Jones)
- The Jonesy is a tribute to a camera assistant who was killed in a tragic train collission on the set of Midnight Rider when the production team failed to follow industry safety standards and chose to put their crew at grave risk. It is meant to be a reminder for crews to make sure they have taken all safety precautions, and have had all necessary safety meetings, before beginning their filming day with The Jonesy.
- Strike the Baby and Kill the Blonde: An Insider's Guide to Film Slang, Dave Knox, Random House, 2005
- DGA Monthly, March 2002 Archived December 5, 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- US Dept. of Labor, OSHA Region 4 (August 14, 2014). "Production company for "Midnight Rider" film cited for willful and serious safety violations following worker fatality and injuries" (Press release). OSHA. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Johnson, Ted (August 14, 2014). "U.S. Department of Labor Cites ‘Midnight Rider’ Production for ‘Willful and Serious’ Safety Violations". Variety (magazine).
- Giardina, Carolyn (February 20, 2015). "Hollywood Remembers Sarah Jones One Year After 'Midnight Rider' Accident". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-02-21.
- Busch, Anita (February 19, 2015). "One Year Later: ‘Midnight Rider’ Trial Looms; Sarah’s Parents’ Special Request". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2015-02-21.
- Johnson (February 18, 2015). "‘Midnight Rider’ Accident Still Resonates One Year Later". Variety (magazine). Check date values in:
- Martini Shot, KCRW