Mary Szybist is an American poet. She grew up in Pennsylvania, earned her B.A. and M.T. (Master of Teaching) from the University of Virginia, and attended the Iowa Writers' Workshop, where she was a Teaching-Writing Fellow.
Szybist's Incarnadine (Graywolf Press, 2013) was the recipient of the 2013 National Book Award for Poetry, and her collection Granted (Alice James Books, 2003) won the 2003 Beatrice Hawley Award from Alice James Books and the 2004 Great Lakes Colleges Association New Writers Award, and was a finalist for the 2004 National Book Critics Circle Award in Poetry. In a feature on NBCCA poetry finalists, the Christian Science Monitor wrote: "...with her intelligence and understated grace, Szybist may become one of the best-known writers of her generation."
Szybist's poetry has appeared in Denver Quarterly, Colorado Review, AGNI, Virginia Quarterly Review, The Iowa Review, Poetry, Tin House, and The Kenyon Review, and The Best American Poetry 2008.
Szybist is an assistant professor of English at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon, and a faculty member at the Warren Wilson College MFA Program for Writers. She also has taught at Kenyon College, the University of Iowa, the Tennessee Governor’s School for Humanities, the University of Virginia’s Young Writers’ Workshop, and West High School in Iowa City.
Honors and awards
- 2013 National Book Award for Poetry
- 2009 National Endowment for the Arts Literature Fellowship
- 2009 Witter Bynner Fellowship
- 2004 Great Lakes Colleges Association New Writers Award
- 2003 National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist
- 2002 Beatrice Hawley Award
- 1996 Rona Jaffe Foundation Writing Award
- Academy of American Poets Prize
- University of Virginia Program: Master of Teaching
- The Christian Science Monitor > Books > National Book Critics Circle Nominees/Poetry > February 24, 2004
- AGNI Online > Do Not Desire Me Imagine Me by Mary Szybist
- The Kenyon Review > Yet Not Consumed by Mary Szybist
- Library of Congress > News from the LOC > February 2, 2009
- NEA: 2009 Grant Awards: Literature Fellowships (Poetry)
- Rona Jaffe Foundation Writer's Awards > Past Recipients
- Alice James Books > Mary Szybist Author Page
- Lewis & Clark College > English Department Faculty
- Lewis & Clark College > Awards & Announcements
- Mary Szybist: Official Website
- Web del Sol > Chapbook Feature > Mary Szybist, Poems from Granted
- PBS: The NewsHour > ArtBeat: Weekly Poem: Apology, by Mary Szybist
- Kenyon College > The Kenyon Collegian > Interview with Mary Szybist
- Poetry Foundation > In Tennessee I Found a Firefly, by Mary Szybist