Missing required parameter 1=month! , 1943|
|Institutions||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1969-Present
University of California, Los Angeles,
University of Wisconsin, Fall 1974
University of Rennes, Spring 1981
University of Oxford, 1982-83
University of Rennes, Spring 1987
University of Bordeaux, June 1989
CNRS, Toulouse, France, July 1989
University of California Berkeley, Fall 1996
Instituto de Investigaciones Quimicas, Spring 1997
University of Marburg, Spring 2001,
Max Planck Institute, Muelheim, Spring 2003
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins,
|Doctoral advisor||Saul Winstein|
|Doctoral students||Stefan Mecking
Lynda K. Johnson(Postdoc)
|Known for||Mechanisms in organometallic chemistry|
ACS Award in Organometallic Chemistry (1992)
ACS Petroleum Research Fund (1989-1991)
Medicinal Chemistry Study Section, DRG, NIH (1997-2001)
Chemistry Division Review Committee, Los Alamos National Laboratory (2002-2005)
Brookhart received his Bachelor of Science from Johns Hopkins University in 1964. He received his Ph.D. in 1968 from the University of California, Los Angeles, in physical organic chemistry where his thesis advisor was Saul Winstein. After an NSF postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles in 1968 and a NATO postdoctoral fellowship at Southampton University, England in 1969, he joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina.
His research group is noted for its research in the general area of synthetic and mechanistic organometallic chemistry. A recent major thrust has been the development of post-metallocene catalysts based upon late transition metal complexes for olefin coordination polymerization. They carry out their mechanistic investigation of the polymerization reactions primarily by low temperature IR and NMR spectroscopies. The work provides a detailed understanding of catalyst resting states and relative intermediates.
A second major focus of Brookhart’s group concerns fundamental studies of C-H and C-C bond activations by transition metal complexes and the incorporation of these bond activation steps into catalytic cycles. They have successfully demonstrated catalysis of the ortho-alkylation of aromatic ketones, alkyl aldehyde isomerization, hydroacylation, and the dehydrogenation of alkoxy silanes to generate silyl enol ethers. Recent work on alkane metathesis has received attention.
He has over 200 publications in the scientific literature and holds over 22 US patents. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Brookhart, Maurice; Ogliaruso, Michael A.; Winstein, Saul. The homoaromatic 1-hydroxyhomotropylium cation. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1967), 89(8), 1965-6.
- Brookhart, Maurice; Lustgarten, Ronald K.; Winstein, Saul. Bridge flipping and rearrangement of norbornadienyl and 7-methylnorbornadienyl cations. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1967), 89(24), 6352-4.
- Lustgarten, Ronald K.; Brookhart, M.; Winstein, Saul. Direct observation of methyl-substituted 7-norbornadienyl and bicyclo[3.2.0]heptadienyl cations. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1968), 90(26), 7364-6.
- Richey, Herman G., Jr.; Nichols, James D.; Gassman, Paul G.; Fentiman, Allison F., Jr.; Winstein, S.; Brookhart, M.; Lustgarten, Ronald K. Classical 7-norbornenyl cation. Competition between aryl and alkenyl functions in stabilizing 7-aryl-7-norbornenyl cations. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1970), 92(12), 3783-4.
- Ittel, Steven D.; Johnson, Lynda K.; Brookhart, Maurice. Late-Metal Catalysts for Ethylene Homo- and Copolymerization. Chemical Reviews (Washington, D. C.) (2000), 100(4), 1169-1203.
- Brookhart, Maurice; Green, Malcolm L. H.; Parkin, Gerard. Agostic interactions in transition metal compounds. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (2007), 104(17), 6908-6914.
- Lenges, Christian P.; White, Peter S.; Brookhart, Maurice. Hydrogenations Catalyzed by [C5Me5Rh(olefin)2] Complexes: Conversion of Alkoxysilanes to Silyl Enolates. Journal of the American Chemical Society (1999), 121(18), 4385-4396.
- Bailey, Brad C.; Schrock, Richard R.; Kundu, Sabuj; Goldman, Alan S.; Huang, Zheng; Brookhart, Maurice. Evaluation of Molybdenum and Tungsten Metathesis Catalysts for Homogeneous Tandem Alkane Metathesis. Organometallics (2009), 28(1), 355-360.
- Goldman, Alan S.; Roy, Amy H.; Huang, Zheng; Ahuja, Ritu; Schinski, William; Brookhart, Maurice. Catalytic Alkane Metathesis by Tandem Alkane Dehydrogenation-Olefin Metathesis. Science (Washington, DC, United States)(2006), 312(5771), 257-261.