Max Magnus Norman
Norman was born in Sundsvall, Medelpad, he currently lives and works in Ekerö, Stockholm. He paints visions and dreamlike images as accurately as possible, which results in paintings with a photorealistic quality. His works are intended to spread virally among social networks on the Internet; his art and stunts often deal with everyday events spiced up with a touch of the absurd.
A few examples of such works created for the Internet are the illustrated essay "The LED (minor) Artcrime Tutorial" and the Moose graffiti stunt, where the artist sneaks up on a wild moose and paints graffiti on it. His sculpture and plastic arts projects have received some exposure in Sweden, such as his art project that consisted of a woodpecker placed on a traffic camera on the E4 near Stockvik. In another of Max Magnus Norman's art projects the artist created an unknown (but huge) number of plastic monkeys, about 1 metres in length. One night in early May 2009 he put up these monkeys in different settings all over the small city Sundsvall. One monkey was riding a crocodile in the middle of the central stream Selångersån and one was placed upon a traffic light making it look like the monkey controlled the traffic, some monkeys were even placed under water. A few of these monkeys still remain, amongst other one flying 20 metres up in the air, holding a beer can above the intersection Köpmangatan-Thulegatan.
In 2008, a statue of his, "Kuken ska ha sitt," which includes a 30 cm. long penis, caused some local outcry which was noticed by the Swedish press: the "obscene sculpture" drew notice and commentary from the two largest Swedish papers, Aftonbladet and Expressen. As it happened, Norman's sculpture coincided with a few other "phallic" Swedish works of art that year, including a full-frontal nude Jesus; the fact that Norman's sculpture was provided with a warning for the young enhanced its reputation, as well as that of the artist.
In 2014 Max Magnus Norman published the book Magnum Opus (2014, ISBN 91-7517-609-2) where he describes how he unsought managed to create The Philosopher's Stone. The book, written in Swedish, is built up as manual on how to reach spiritual and physical enlightenment, layered with self biographical anecdotes. The book is written with serious intent and received a few positive reviews in Sweden. The method described is illegal in most countries and not without risks.
- Holmlund, Susanne (2006-11-03). "Sundsvallskonstnärer gör affischer" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Retrieved 2009-01-30.[dead link]
- Fredriksson, Johanna (2007-08-04). "Kulturfakta om Sundsvall" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Retrieved 2009-01-30.[dead link]
- Holmlund, Susanne (2008-07-01). "Modernt och historiskt möts i Röklandsgården" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Retrieved 2009-01-31.[dead link]
- Östberg, Anita (2007-09-25). "Hacke hackspett - i stället för rondellhund" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Retrieved 2009-01-30.[dead link]
- Hallberg, Lasse (2009-05-08). "Sundsvall apar sig" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- "Street Art Monkeys". Max Magnus Norman. 2008-04-12. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- "Kuken ska ha sitt". Max Magnus Norman. 2008-04-12. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- "Varnar barn för obscen skulptur" (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. 2008-07-09. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Lundström, Louise. "Barn varnas för skulpturen 'Kuken'" (in Swedish). Expressen. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Persson, Henrik. "Fallosen får länet på fall" (in Swedish). Allehanda. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Kjellberg, Niklas (2008-07-10). "Hans utställning har väckt starka reaktioner" (in Swedish). Dagbladet i Sundsvall. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Nilsson, Fredrik (2008-07-09). "Kuken fick sitt på Norra berget" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Archived from the original on 2008-08-02. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Brånfelt, Björn (2008-08-22). "Brånis presenterar: Innelistan i Medelpad - sommar-special" (in Swedish). Dagbladet i Sundsvall. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Kjellberg, Niklas (2008-07-30). "Hallå där" (in Swedish). Dagbladet i Sundsvall. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Free 3D game: Abashera 2
- Holmlund, Susanne (2014-07-12). "Max Magnus skriver bok om sin inre process" (in Swedish). Sundsvalls Tidning. Retrieved 2015-01-12.