MechWarrior (video game series)
|Genres||Vehicular combat game|
|Platforms||PC, Apple Macintosh, Super NES, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, Xbox 360|
Within the MechWarrior games, players take control of a single BattleMech and combat other BattleMechs, tanks, infantry, and more, from within the cockpit of their machine. A third-person alternate view is available in MechWarrior versions 2, 3 and 4. Both MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 3 were Origins Award winners, taking Best Fantasy or Science Fiction Computer Game 1995 and Best Action Computer Game 1999 respectively. MechWarrior: Living Legends was the recipient of the ModDB 2009 Mod of the Year and - due to rules preventing one mod from winning the same award twice - an Honorable Mention in 2010. It should be noted that MechWarrior: Living Legends is not an actual MechWarrior mod, but rather a Crysis complete conversion.
The game play of MechWarrior is slightly different from titles such as Armored Core in that you do not have the option to change out pieces of a mech. Instead, you choose a classification of mech to equip, and are then given the option to change out weapons and armor as you would in a first person shooter. You then have the option to equip your weapon choices to one of six "groups" if they are available on the selected mech classification. It is these weapons groups that are used during game play. Individual weapons can be fired independent of a group, however, this requires the use of a menu.
In the past, MechWarrior games have had high resolution graphics for its time, particularly MechWarrior 2. All MechWarrior Games have been at the cutting edge at the time of release. There have been several modifications to the game (NBT-HardCore, NetMech IV, HDP pack and the Mektek Mekpaks) which, in addition to adding many new mechs and weapons, greatly increased the graphic detail of the game.
- MechWarrior takes place at the end of the Third Succession War.
- MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, Ghost Bear's Legacy, Mercenaries, and MechWarrior Online deal with the events soon before, during, and soon after the Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere.
- MechWarrior 3 and MechCommander are concerned with different parts of "Operation Bulldog", the combined Inner Sphere counterattack against the Clans, targeted at the Smoke Jaguars.
- MechWarrior 4: Vengeance, its expansions, and MechCommander 2 deal with the Federated Commonwealth Civil War.
Electric Entertainment, a Hollywood production company founded by Dean Devlin, currently holds the option to produce a feature film based on the MechWarrior universe. In 2003, Devlin approached Paramount to pitch the project but failed to receive funding. The project is currently in development hell.
- "ModDB.com 2009 Mod of the Year winners". webcitation.org: ModDB.com. Archived from the original on 2 April 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "ModDB 2010 Mod of the Year awards and rules". WebCite: ModDB.com, DesuraNET. Archived from the original on 2 April 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "ModDB.com 2010 Players Choice Award". webcitation.org: ModDB.com. Archived from the original on 2 April 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- By T. Liam McDonald, GameSpotPosted May 1, 1996 8:00 am GMT (1995-06-30). "MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Review for PC - GameSpot". gamespot.com. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- Linder, Brian (2003-02-27). "Coming Soon: MechWarrior Movie". IGN. Retrieved 2009-07-11.