Michael Kandel (born 1941) is an American translator and author of science fiction.
Kandel was born into Polish Jewish family. He received a doctorate in Slavistics from Indiana University, and is an editor at the Modern Language Association. Kandel is also a part-time editor at Harcourt, editing (among others) Ursula K. Le Guin's work.
Kandel is perhaps best known for his translations of the works of Stanisław Lem from Polish to English. Recently he has also been translating works of other Polish science fiction authors, such as Jacek Dukaj, Marek Huberath and Andrzej Sapkowski. The quality of his translations is considered to be excellent and is especially notable in the case of Lem's writing, which makes heavy use of wordplay and other difficult-to-translate devices.
Awards and honors
- 2012 Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards, nominee, translation from the Polish of "Spellmaker" by Andrzej Sapkowski
Stanisław Lem's Works
- Memoirs Found in a Bathtub (with Christine Rose, 1973)
- The Cyberiad (1974)
- The Futurological Congress (1974)
- The Star Diaries (1976)
- Mortal Engines (1977)
- A Perfect Vacuum (1978)
- His Master's Voice (1983)
- Fiasco (1987)
- Peace on Earth (with Elinor Ford, 1994)
- Highcastle: A Remembrance (1995)
Paweł Huelle's works
- Who Was David Weiser? (1992)- First translated by Antonia Lloyd-Jones (1991).
- Moving House and Other Stories (1995)- First translated by Antonia Lloyd-Jones (1994).
Editor and translator
- A Polish Book of Monsters: Five Dark Tales from Contemporary Poland (2010, contains stories by Marek Huberath, Andrzej Sapkowski, Tomasz Kołodziejczak, Andrzej Zimniak, and Jacek Dukaj)
- Kathryn Cramer; David G. Hartwell (10 July 2007). The Space Opera Renaissance. Tom Doherty Associates. pp. 823–. ISBN 978-1-4668-0825-6. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- James Morrow; Kathryn Morrow (15 April 2008). The SFWA European Hall of Fame: Sixteen Contemporary Masterpieces of Science Fiction from the Continent. Tom Doherty Associates. pp. 327–. ISBN 978-0-7653-1537-3. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Kandel, "Being an Editor"
- "A Polish Book of Monsters: About the Translator". Polish Institute of Arts and Sciences of America. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Franz Rottensteiner (1999). View from Another Shore. Liverpool University Press. pp. 252–. ISBN 978-0-85323-942-0. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "2012 Nominees". sfftawards.org. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Kandel.|
- Michael Kandel on Words Without Borders
- "Being an Editor" by Michael Kandel
- Michael Kandel at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This article about an American science fiction writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|