|Full name||Michael William Eric Tonge|
|Date of birth||7 April 1983|
|Place of birth||Manchester, England|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2009–2010||→ Preston North End (loan)||7||(0)|
|2010||→ Derby County (loan)||18||(2)|
|2010||→ Preston North End (loan)||5||(1)|
|2012||→ Barnsley (loan)||10||(0)|
|2012||→ Leeds United (loan)||19||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 07:56, 25 December 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Tonge began his career in Manchester United's youth team before joining Sheffield United in 2001. He soon became a vital player for Neil Warnock's Blades, helping the Bramall Lane side achieve promotion to the Premier League in 2006. However, they were relegated after one season back in the top flight, and after an unsuccessful attempt to gain an instant return, Tonge signed for Stoke City in August 2008 for £2 million. Since joining Stoke, Tonge struggled to break into the first-team and had been sent out on loan to Preston North End (twice), Derby County, Barnsley and Leeds United. He joined Leeds on a permanent basis in January 2013.
Born in Manchester, Tonge was signed as a youth player by manager Steve Bruce when he was released by Manchester United. He was in the Sheffield United first team reckoning by April 2001. He made his first senior start in the last game of the 2000–01 season, a 1–1 draw away at Bolton. Tonge scored his first competitive goal for the Blades in October of the following season, netting the winner in a 1–0 home victory over Crewe.
Good performances led to an England youth international call-up and by the end of 2003 interest from clubs such as Liverpool, especially after scoring two goals to help the Blades to a 2–1 win in the first leg of the semi-final of the League Cup against the Merseyside team. In total Tonge went on to spend seven years at the Blades and made more than 300 appearances for the club during that time.
On 1 September 2008, Tonge signed for Premier League side Stoke City for a fee believed to be in region of £2 million, which could eventually rise to £2.5 million. He made his City debut against Everton on 14 September 2008. Tonge failed to establish himself in the Stoke squad and only made a further nine appearances in the 2008–09 season. Following loan spells with Preston and Derby, Tonge returned to Stoke for pre-season, where he scored in games against Newcastle Town and Burnley. Due to his pre-season form, he finally made a league appearance for Stoke against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur.
He was recalled from his loan spell at Preston on 31 December by manager Tony Pulis. Tonge completed a full pre-season prior to the 2011–12 season, playing in all but one of Stoke's games and scoring in the 3–1 friendly win against Austrian side SV Thal. On 18 August 2011, he made his first start of the season in Stoke's 1–0 Europa League play-off win against FC Thun, making his European debut in the process. On 2 September, Tonge was left out of the Stoke 25-man Premier League and 23-man Europa League squads for the first half of the season, which meant he was only eligible to play in domestic cup and reserve games. He scored for the Stoke Reserves in their 2–1 win over Nottingham Forest Reserves on 28 September. Tonge was again left out of Stoke's 25-man squad for the 2012–13 season.
After failing to fully settle at Stoke, Tonge left on 19 November 2009 when he signed a loan deal with Preston North End and made his debut on 23 November against Newcastle United. Tonge later signed for Derby County on transfer deadline day on loan until end of the season. Tonge scored his first goal for Derby in a 2–0 win over Watford on 6 March 2010. After struggling for first team appearances for Stoke, Tonge returned to one of his old clubs Preston North End on a months loan on 17 November 2010 along with fellow Stoke team-mate Danny Pugh. This was extended until 16 January 2011. He scored his first goal for Preston in a 1–1 draw with Cardiff on 4 December 2010. On 24 January 2012, Tonge joined Championship side Barnsley on loan until the end of the 2011–12 season. He made his debut a week later, playing 66 minutes in the 3–2 league win against Derby County.
On 13 September 2012, Tonge linked up with his former Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock and joined Leeds United on loan until December 2012. Tonge made his Leeds United debut on 15 September against Cardiff City partnering Rodolph Austin in central midfield. Tonge scored his first goal for Leeds, when he scored the winner against Bristol City in a 3–2 victory on 29 September. Tonge scored his second Leeds goal with a long range strike against Sheffield Wednesday in a 1–1 draw. He continued his goal scoring form for Leeds against Southampton in a 3–0 League Cup win. After his loan deal expired on 23 December 2012, Leeds manager Neil Warnock revealed he wanted to sign Tonge permanently, Tonge also revealed that he wanted to join Leeds on a permanent deal. New Leeds director, Salem Patel also revealed Leeds were in negotiations to sign Tonge on a permanent deal in January.
- As of 3 May 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Sheffield United||2000–01||First Division||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Stoke City||2008–09||Premier League||10||0||1||0||0||0||–||11||0|
|Preston North End (loan)||2009–10||Championship||7||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
|Derby County (loan)||2009–10||Championship||18||2||1||0||0||0||0||0||19||2|
|Preston North End (loan)||2010–11||Championship||5||1||0||0||0||0||–||5||1|
- A. ^ The "Other" column constitutes appearances and goals in the Football League play-offs and UEFA Europa League.
- "Statistics". Premier League. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- Hugman, Barry J. (2005). The PFA Premier & Football League Players' Records 1946–2005. Queen Anne Press. p. 616. ISBN 1-85291-665-6.
- "BBC Sport Football: Squad profiles, Michael Tonge". BBC. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Bolton strike late to deny Blades". BBC Sport. 6 May 2001. Retrieved 3 December 2007.
- "Sheff Utd 1–0 Crewe". BBC Sport. 27 October 2001. Retrieved 3 December 2007.
- "Blades cut down Liverpool". BBC Sport. 8 January 2003. Retrieved 3 December 2007.
- Sanghera, Mandeep (14 September 2008). "Stoke 2–3 Everton". BBC.
- "Pugh And Tonge Return". stokecityfc.com. 31 December 2010.
- "SV Thal 1 Stoke City 3". stokecityfc.com. 15 July 2011.
- "FC Thun 0 – 1 Stoke". BBC Sport. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Shocks As Potters Announce Premier League and Europa League Squads". stokecity-mad.co.uk. 2 September 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Mama's Return Sparks Victory". stokecityfc.com. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "25-Man Squad Announced". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Tonge seals Preston loan switch". BBC Sport. 19 November 2009. Retrieved 19 November 2009.
- "Derby 2–0 Watford". BBC. 6 March 2010. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- "City Pair Head North". stokecityfc.com. 17 February 2010.
- "Preston extend Danny Pugh and Michael Tonge loan deals". BBC Sport. 18 December 2010.
- "Cardiff 1 – 1 Preston". BBC Sport. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Tykes Tie Up Tonge". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "Barnsley 3–2 Derby". BBC Sport. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "MIDFIELDER SIGNS UP IN LOAN DEAL". Leeds United A.F.C. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Leeds leave Cardiff empty handed..". Leeds United A.F.C. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Diouf double and stunning Tonge strike secure win...". Leeds United A.F.C. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "TONGE SECURES HILLSBOROUGH DRAW". Leeds United A.F.C. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "Leeds 3 – Southampton 0". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Tonge desperate to return to Leeds". Vital Leeds. 23 December 2012.
- "Leeds United: Tonge wants to return to Elland Road permanently". Yorkshire Evening Post. 21 December 2012.
- "Leeds United: New director Patel keen to keep hold of ‘key’ loan duo". Yorkshire Evening Post. 22 December 2012.
- "Midfielder signs up for long term". Leeds United A.F.C. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Leeds United sign Stoke City midfielder Michael Tonge". BBC Sport. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Barnsley vs Leeds". Leeds United Official Website. 12 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Michael Tonge". SoccerBase (Centurycomm). Retrieved 9 April 2012.