|Born||Michael Allan Zinberg
March 22, 1944
Bexar County, Texas
|Alma mater||University of Texas at Austin|
Former TV Executive
Zinberg moved to Los Angeles, California, in 1968, with his first job as an usher at CBS Television City. He worked his way up to become a production assistant and then a writer, eventually working as an Associate Producer on the James Garner TV show Nichols.
In 1972, Zinberg joined the MTM Productions television production company that was founded by Mary Tyler Moore's husband, Grant Tinker. While at MTM Productions he wrote, produced and directed The Bob Newhart Show for six seasons, as well as The Mary Tyler Moore Show, among other popular TV shows of the 1970s and 1980s.
Zinberg continues to produce direct many episodic TV programs, including Rizzoli & Isles, where he serves as Executive Producer. He has directed current shows like The Good Wife, The Blacklist, and NCIS: New Orleans, among others. He counts John Rich, John Frankenheimer, Bob Butler, and Gene Reynolds as inspiration for his directing work.
- 1971-1972: Nichols - Assistant Producer, 24 episodes
- 1972-1974: The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Associate Producer, 24 episodes; Assistant Producer, 24 episodes
- 1972-1978: The Bob Newhart Show - Associate Producer, 75 episodes; Producer, 33 episodes; Executive Producer, 22 episodes; Director, 15 episodes
- 1976-1978: The Tony Randall Show - Director, 5 episodes
- 1082-1983: Taxi - Director, 6 episodes
- 1978-1979: WKRP in Cincinnati - Director, 4 episodes
- 1983-1984: The Yellow Rose - Executive Producer, 22 episodes
- 1987-1988: L.A. Law - Director, 2 episodes
- 1989-1990: Midnight Caller - Director - 3 episodes
- 1990-1991: Quantum Leap - Co-Executive Producer, 24 episodes; Director, 9 episodes
- 1996-1998: JAG - Co-Executive Producer, 7 episodes; Director, 2 episodes
- 1996-1997: Men Behaving Badly - Director, 16 episodes
- 1999-2002: Everybody Loves Raymond - Director, 5 episodes
- 1999-2004: The Practice - Director, 8 episodes
- 2003-2009: Monk - Director, 5 episodes
- 2004-2005: Gilmore Girls - Director, 6 episodes
- 2008-2010: Private Practice - Director, 5 episodes
- 2009-2010: Lie to Me - Director, 4 episodes
- 2010-2011: Rizzoli & Isles - Executive Producer, 15 episodes; Director, 5 episodes
- 2010-2015: The Good Wife - Director, 13 episodes
- 2014-2015: NCIS - Director, 2 episodes
- 1977: Outstanding Comedy Series, The Bob Newhart Show (CBS)
- 1991: Outstanding Drama Series, Quantum Leap (NBC)
- 1992: Outstanding Drama Series, Quantum Leap (NBC)
Zinberg has won the following awards and has served on the following bodies:
- The Lifetime Achievement Award from The Caucus of Writers, Producers and Directors
- Board Member, The Western Directors Council
- Co-Chair of the DGA Television Creative Rights Committee
- 1983: The Young Texas Exes Award, University of Texas at Austin
- 1994: The College of Communication Outstanding Alumnus Award, University of Texas at Austin
- UT College of Communication Foundation Advisory Council, University of Texas at Austin
Zinberg has been married to Leslie Zinberg (née Fierman), a writer and designer, since 1969.
- "Michael Allan Zinberg - Texas, Birth Index". FamilySearch. 22 March 1944. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Alumni - Outstanding - Michael Zinberg". University of Texas at Austin - Moody College of Communication. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Michael Zinberg Bio" (PDF). Flow TV. Summer 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Rice, Jerry (26 October 2012). "TV dreams live on: Bob Newhart: 50 Years in Showbiz". Variety. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Variety Staff (16 November 1993). "Petry NBC West Coast sr. VP". Variety. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Shimokawa, Gary (28 May 2009). "Visual History with Michael Zinberg". Directors Guild of America. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Michael Zinberg". Emmys. Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Michael A Zinberg mentioned in the record of Michael A Zinberg and Leslie S Fierman". FamilySearch. 26 January 1969. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
|This article about a television director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|