June 3, 1961 |
Jesenice, Slovenia, Yugoslavia
|Occupation||Novelist, Screenwriter, Columnist|
|Alma mater||University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana|
|Period||1981 to present|
|Genre||Novel, Short story|
|Notable works||Guarding Hanna, The Cartier Project, King of the Rattling Spirits|
Miha Mazzini (born 3 June 1961 in Jesenice, Yugoslavia) is a Slovenian writer, screenwriter and film director with twenty-eight published books, translated in nine languages. He possesses a PhD in anthropology from the Institutum Studiorum Humanitatis and has MA in Creative Writing for Film and Television at The University of Sheffield. He is Voting member of the European Film Academy.
Later his work was selected for many international anthologies, recently his short story Mother was included in Contemporary European Fiction anthology.
In 2012, one of his stories received the Pushcart Prize.
- "In ... Guarding Hanna, [Mazzini] has created a bestial protagonist ... a gargoyle of a man [who] struggles heroically with his own nature only to find that life has played him one horrific joke."
- "[Hanna’s] a wonderful creation: vulnerable, lonely, trying to keep her mood upbeat but not always succeeding. In fact, she’s just the thing to melt the Beast’s hostility—or drive him, with her chatter, to homicidal distraction....Throw in the narrator’s grim musings on his lot in life and his occasional urge to strangle Hanna, and you have a tonic mix of menace and comedy that keeps things hopping right up to the book’s twist ending."
Fiction books in English
- Guarding Hanna (2003, a novel)
- The Cartier Project (2004, a novel)
- King of the Rattling Spirits (2005, a novel)
- German Lottery (2012, a novel)
- Crumbs (2014, a novel)
- Paloma Negra (2014, a novel)
- Cartier Project (1991, TV film, scriptwriter)
- You're Free. Decide. (1999, short film, scriptwriter and director)
- Sweet Dreams (2001, feature film, scriptwriter)
- The Orphan with the magic voice (2003, short film, scriptwriter and director)
- A Very Simple Story (2008, short film, scriptwriter and director)
Multilingual Web film project
A Very Simple Story script in multiple languages, read by actresses from different countries. Screenwriter and director of Slovenian (8:28) and Italian (9:57) film. Project was nominated for the Prix Europe award.
- Miha Mazzini at the Internet Movie Database
- Mazzini's home page
- A Very Simple Story Multilingual Web film project