Ministry for Rural Affairs (Sweden)
|Minister responsible||Eskil Erlandsson|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Ministry for Rural Affairs (Swedish: Landsbygdsdepartementet) is a ministry within the government of Sweden. Areas of responsibility includes agriculture and environmental issues relating to agriculture, fishery, reindeer husbandry, Sami affairs, horticulture, animal welfare, foodstuffs, hunting and game management as well as higher education and research in the field of agricultural sciences.
The Ministry were formerly known as the Ministry of Agriculture (Jordbruksdepartementet). On 1 January 2011 it changed its name to the Ministry for Rural Affairs, but the title of Minister of Rural Affairs was already in use from 5 October 2010.
The ministry is divided into four specialist divisions:
- The Animal and Food Division
- The Rural Growth Division
- The Game Management, Fisheries and Sami Affairs Division
- The Agriculture and Forestry Division
There are also four administrative sections:
- The Secretariat for Administration and Development
- The Secretariat for EU Coordination and International Affairs
- The Legal Secretariat
- Information Section
Areas of responsibility
- Hunting and Game management
- International cooperation
- Natural resources and the environment
- Organic production and consumption
- Reindeer husbandry
- Research and education in land-based industries
- Rural development
- Sami policy
The Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries is principal for the following government agencies:
- Swedish National Board of Agriculture, or Jordbruksverket. Field of operations: agriculture, horticulture and reindeer husbandry.
- Swedish National Food Administration, or Livsmedelsverket. Field of operations: Ensure quality of food is maintained.
- Swedish National Board of Fisheries, or Fiskeriverket. (Official site) Field of operations: fishery.
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, or Sveriges Lantbruksuniveristet. (Official site) Field of operations: universities, research.
- Swedish National Veterinary Institute, or Statens Veterinärmedicinska Anstalt (SVA). (Official site) Field of operations: diagnosis and combating contagious animal diseases - research and prevention.
- Sami Parliament, or Sametinget. Field of operations: The Sami Parliament is both a government agency and an elected parliament whose purpose is to promote the Sami culture.
- Sami Foundation Board, or Styrelsen för samefonden. Field of operations: the board's funds are to be used to promote reindeer husbandry, Sami culture and Sami organisations.
- Swedish Veterinary Disciplinary Board, or Veterinära ansvarsnämnden. Field of operations: examines matters concerning disciplinary responsibility for veterinary surgeons and also the revoking of veterinary licences.
- The Swedish Forest Agency, ot Skogsstyrelsen.The Swedish Forest Agency is the Government's expert authority on forests and forest policy.
- "Jordbruksdepartementet". Nationalencyklopedin (in Swedish). Retrieved 13 November 2010. (subscription required)
- Ministry for Rural Affairs, official website (English)