Mass in B-flat major, K. 275
The Missa brevis No. 9 in B-flat major by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, K. 275/272b, was probably written before September 1777 for Salzburg. The mass is scored for SATB soloists, SATB choir, violin I, violin II, 3 trombones, string bass, and organ.
The setting is divided into six movements.
- "Kyrie" Allegro, B-flat major, common time
- "Gloria" Allegro, B-flat major, 2/4
- "Credo" Allegro, B-flat major, common time
- —"Et incarnatus est..." Adagio
- —"Et resurrexit..." Allegro
- "Sanctus" Andante, B-flat major, 3/4
- "Benedictus" Andante, E-flat major, 3/4
- —"Osanna..." Allegro
- —"excelsis..." B-flat major
- "Agnus Dei" Andante, G minor, common time
- —"Dona nobis pacem..." Allegro, B-flat major, cut time
In the Gloria and the Credo, Mozart eschews the traditional concluding fugues. Despite being a missa brevis, the Agnus Dei is very long and there is "a prolonged setting for soloists and choir of 'Dona nobis pacem', ending piano." The Dona nobis is set as a gavotte, "like a vaudeville and has been compared with the specimen of this genre at the end of Die Entführung."
The first known performance took place on December 21, 1777, with castrato Francesco Ceccarelli among the soloists singled out for praise for his performance, but David Schildkret has argued that it was more likely composed as early as 1772. Elsewhere church musicians were offended, such as those at Wasserburg am Inn, who found Mozart's setting "an open mockery of the holy text."
- p. 390, Sadie (2006) Stanley
- p. 661, Heartz (1995) Daniel
- p. 390, Sadie (2006) Stanley. Oxford Mozart: the Early Years 1756—1781 Oxford University Press. "The castrato sang excellently ... (this was Francesco Ceccarelli, then new to the Salzburg Kapelle)."
- "Ave to Vale or Coloredo?", Mozart Society of America newsletter, August 2002
- Heartz (1995) Daniel. New York. Haydn, Mozart, and the Viennese School: 1740 — 1780 W. W. Norton & Co.
- Hugues (1974) Rosemary. London. Haydn. J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd
- Schenbeck (1996) Lawrence. Chapel Hill, North Carolina Joseph Haydn and the Classical Choral Tradition Hinshaw Music
- Mass in B-flat major, K. 275: Score and critical report (German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Free scores of the Missa brevis in B flat (KV 275) in the Choral Public Domain Library (ChoralWiki)
- Missa brevis in B-flat major, K.275/272b: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project