Mocky performing in 2006 at the Stadtgarten in Cologne, Germany.
|Birth name||Dominic Salole|
October 7, 1974 |
|Genres||pop, jazz, hip hop, electronic|
|Occupation(s)||singer, producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, composer|
|Instruments||vocals, drums, guitar, piano, electronics, bass|
|Associated acts||Peaches, Feist, Chilly Gonzales, Taylor Savvy, Kevin Blechdom, Jamie Lidell|
Mocky was born Dominic Salole in Saskatchewan, Canada. He later moved to Ottawa and Toronto, and then to London, Amsterdam and Berlin. He currently lives in Los Angeles. His father is of Somali descent, but was born in present-day Yemen. His mother is English.
Mocky has released four albums under his own name: In Mesopotamia, Are + Be, Navy Brown Blues, and Saskamodie. He released them first on his own label Mockyrecordings and the Japanese label Saidera, then on the German labels Gomma and Four Music, as well as on V2 Records in France, and Saskamodie on Crammed Discs. As a producer and songwriter he has worked with artists as diverse as Jamie Lidell, Feist, Nikka Costa, GZA, Alexandro Jodorowsky, Gonzales, Peaches and more.
His music is notable for its sense of humour, and for combining elements of hip-hop and experimental sounds into memorable tunes. Mocky's song "Sweet Music" from his first album quickly became an underground hit, especially in Europe.
He was also a member of the groups Puppetmastaz, The Shit, Son, The D.O.M, the Freeway Band, and The Roustabouts.
In December 2008, Mocky announced the 2009 release of his new and mostly instrumental album Saskamodie on the Crammed Discs label. The album was released to wide critical acclaim, Pitchfork Media calling it an "exceptional musical album".
In 2012, Mocky publicly announced his move from his long time home Berlin to Los Angeles. In late 2012 he premiered his new song "Little Bird" via The Fader  and a video for the new song "Make You Rich" via Vogue (magazine).
The Canadian Crew
Mocky is considered to be a member of the Canadian Crew, a loose collective of expat Canadian musicians mostly living in Europe that includes Peaches, Chilly Gonzales, Feist, Taylor Savvy, and others.
Co-writing and co-producing credits
Mocky is also a much sought after live performer, and plays in shows for fellow musicians Gonzales and Jamie Lidell, usually on drums, keyboards, bass or guitar.
In September 2009, Mocky had an appearance by the rapper GZA on his soundtrack-like tune "Birds of a Feather".
Mocky has co-written and co-produced songs for:
- Jamie Lidell's 2005 album Multiply and 2008 album JIM.
- Feist's albums The Reminder (nominated for four grammys) and Metals.
Some of Mocky's other co-writing credits include:
- "Bittersweet Melodies", "Graveyard", "Caught A Long Wind" from the album Metals by Feist
- "Multiply", "When I Come Back Around", "What´s the Use", "What is it this Time" and "Game for Fools" from the album Multiply by Jamie Lidell
- "Take me to Broadway" with Gonzales
- "So Sorry" from the album The Reminder by Feist
- "Another Day", "Wait for me", Out of my System", "All I Wanna Do", "Little Bit of Feelgood", "Figured me Out", "Green Light", "Rope of Sand" from the album Jim by Jamie Lidell
- "Without Love" from the Album Pebble to a Pearl by Nikka Costa
- Resolution (Matt Corby song) and "Lay You Down" from the "Resolution EP" by Matt Corby
- "Trick Of The Light" from the "Live On The Resolution Tour EP" by Matt Corby
- "Not Knowing" from the "Grow" Single by Rae Morris
- "Floorshow" and "Do It Again" from the "Cut 4 Me" Mixtape by Kelela
- 2002: In Mesopotamia
- 2004: Are + Be
- 2006: Navy Brown Blues
- 2009: Saskamodie
- 2013: Graveyard Novelas EP (The Moxtape Vol.1)
- 2005: "Catch a Moment in Time"
- 2006: "Fightin' Away the Tears" (featuring Feist)
- 2006: "How Will I Know You?" (featuring Jamie Lidell)
- 2009: " Birds of a Feather "
- 2011: Ufo In Her Eyes
Production credits and appearances
- 2002: Gonzales - The Entertainist
- 2002: Puppetmastaz - Zoology
- 2003: Gonzales - Presidential Suite
- 2005: Studio R - Clapz
- 2005: Puppetmastaz - Creature Shock Rock Radio
- 2005: Kevin Blechdom - Eat My Heart Out
- 2005: Jamie Lidell - Multiply
- 2006: Jane Birkin - Fictions
- 2006: Jamie Lidell - Multiply Additions
- 2006: Soffy O - The Beauty of It
- 2007: Micky Green - White T-Shirt
- 2007: Teki Latex - Party de plaisir
- 2007: Feist - The Reminder
- 2008: Jamie Lidell - Jim
- 2008: Puppetmastaz – The Takeover
- 2008: Nikka Costa - Pebble to a Pearl
- 2011: Francisca Valenzuela - Buen Soldado
- 2011: Feist - Metals
- 2013 Bassekou Kouyate – Jamako
- 2013: Rae Morris - Grow (Single)
- 2013: Matt Corby - Resolution EP
- 2013: Kelela - Cut 4 Me (Mixtape)
- 2014 Bok Bok feat. Kelela – Melba’s Call
- 2003: Isolée - "It's About"
- 2003: V.A. - "Cinemix"
- 2004: Husky Rescue - "Summertime Cowboy"
- 2004: Feist - "Mushaboom"
- 2005: Feist - "Inside and Out"
- 2006: Jamie Lidell - "What's the Use"
- 2006: Architecture in Helsinki - "Need to Shout"
- 2007: Young MC - "Bust a Move"
- 2008: Anita O'Day - "Tenderly" (Verve Remixed)
- 2011: Lateef The Truthspeaker - "Oakland" (Mocky Remix) ft. Del The Funky Homosapien & The Grouch
- The World Provider: Checking In With Mocky (December 12, 2011)
- Pleasure and pain
- Feist delights in her "massacre of bleed"
- UFO In Her Eyes