Monte Cristi Province
Coastline of Monte Cristi
|Capital||San Fernando de Monte Cristi|
|- elevation||16 m (52 ft)|
|Area||1,924.35 km2 (743 sq mi)|
|Density||70.5 / km2 (183 / sq mi)|
4 municipal districts
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
Monte Cristi (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmonte ˈkɾisti]) is a province in the north-west of the Dominican Republic. The capital city is San Fernando de Monte Cristi (usually simply Monte Cristi). The spelling Montecristi is also seen.
 Municipalities and municipal districts
The following is a sortable table of the municipalities and municipal districts with population figures as of the 2012 census. Urban population are those living in the seats (cabeceras literally heads) of municipalities or of municipal districts. Rural population are those living in the districts (Secciones literally sections) and neighborhoods (Parajes literally stops) outside of them.
|Name||Total population||Urban population||Rural population|
|Las Matas de Santa Cruz||18,756||9,515||9,241|
|San Fernando de Monte Cristi||42,657||26,868||15,789|
|Monte Cristi province||135,710||63,461||72,249|
For comparison with the municipalities and municipal districts of other provinces see the list of municipalities and municipal districts of the Dominican Republic.
Also see Panama hats: Every Panama hat is unique as the making of the hats is a cottage industry and some of the finest panamas are made in Montecristi. The finest woven hats can take up to 6 months to weave and can command prices of up to £1,000. The best hats have to be woven in the right conditions and especially humidity. The weavers split the fibre razor thin and plait ring after ring of palm fibre constantly dipping their finger tips into water.
The finest panamas have a very silky texture and when held up to the light you can see a spiral of rings together with the weaver’s signature. These rings are called ‘vueltas’ and the more there are determines the quality of the hat. The cheaper quality hats may only have around ten ‘vueltas’ whereas a Montecristi Superino may have up to forty.
Panamas are exported from Ecuador in the form of hoods. These are then blocked by specialist hat factories into the two principal shapes which is the Trilby and the Folding Panama.
- Oficina Nacional de Estadistica, Departamento de Cartografia, Division de Limites y Linderos. "Listado de Codigos de Provincias, Municipio y Distritos Municipales, Actualizada a Junio 20 del 2006" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- Consejo Nacional de Población y Familia. "Censos y Proyecciones de la Población Dominicana por Regiones, Provincias, Municipios y Distritos Municipales, 2012" (PDF) (in Spanish). Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- (Spanish) Oficina Nacional de Estadística, Statistics Portal of the Dominican Republic
- (Spanish) Oficina Nacional de Estadística, Maps with administrative division of the provinces of the Dominican Republic, downloadable in PDF format
- (English) / Airport Information in Montecristi / FlyDominicanRepublic.com