||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (March 2015)|
theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Lehmann|
|Produced by||Billy Crystal|
|Written by||Billy Crystal
|Music by||Marc Shaiman|
|Edited by||Stephen Semel|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|April 10, 1998 (US)
February 12, 1999 (UK)
My Giant is a 1998 comedy drama film starring Billy Crystal and NBA player Gheorghe Mureșan in his only film appearance, and directed by Michael Lehmann. Crystal also produced and co-wrote the story, which was inspired by professional wrestler André the Giant, whom Crystal had met during the filming of The Princess Bride.
A huckster named Sammy (Billy Crystal) travels to Romania on business. After a disappointment, he crashes his car and is rescued while unconscious by an enormous Romanian man named Max (Gheorghe Mureșan) who is close to 8 feet tall.
Once he wakes up and interacts with Max, he sees potential stardom in him. Sammy attempts to broker his introduction into the movies. In doing so he exploits Max's desire to visit a long-lost paramour, Lilliana (Joanna Pacuła), in Gallup, New Mexico. First, Max obtains the role of a villain in a movie, but he is so drunk that he vomits on the protagonist. However, the scene is included in the movie.
One day, Sammy talks to Steven Seagal about including Max as a villain in one of his movies, convincing him that he needs a different kind of villain. At first Seagal rejects him because there was another actor who would take that role, but he changes his opinion after listening to an extract of a Shakespearean play done by Max.
Suddenly, after some medical exams, Max is diagnosed with heart disease which cannot be treated with a transplant because Max's heart is so big. Sammy decides to find Lilliana, and tries to convince her to meet Max again, but she rejects the invitation. Sammy then convinces his wife to take the role of Lilliana and after some words, Max asks her for a kiss.
Sammy eventually decides to return Max home to Romania. Max refuses to go back, but finally he enters the house and meet his parents again, who abandoned him when he was born. Sammy ends up watching Max's first filmed scene in a cinema with his family.
- Billy Crystal as Sammy Kamin
- Gheorghe Mureșan as Maximus Zamfirescu
- Kathleen Quinlan as Serena Kamin
- Joanna Pacuła as Liliana Rotaru
- Zane Carney as Nick Kamin
- Dan Castellaneta as Partlow
- Steven Seagal as himself
- "'City of Angels' Takes Wing in Heavenly Opening Weekend - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1998-04-13. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Top of the World for Warner Bros. - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1998-04-14. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "My Giant - Review". Rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "CNN - Review: 'My Giant' not good at tall - April 16, 1998". Edition.cnn.com. 1998-04-16. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "My Giant : MPAA Rating : R, PG". Ew.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Joe, Jonathan (1998-04-09). "Too Big to Ignore | Movie Review". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2013-09-15.