National Shooting Sports Foundation
|National Shooting Sports Foundation|
|Motto||To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports|
|Type||Industry trade group, and lobbying|
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) is a national trade association for the firearms industry that is based in Newtown, Connecticut in the United States. Formed in 1961, the organization has more than 7,000 members: firearms manufacturers, distributors, retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's clubs and media.
The organization's website states that its mission is "To promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports". In addition to promoting gun ownership and the shooting sports, the NSSF helps write safety and instruction standards. The NSSF also sponsors industry's annual Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show, the (SHOT Show). The NSSF has advocated specific positions on gun rights, arguing against limits on high capacity magazines and the broad use of the term "assault weapon". It has also supported legislation allowing concealed carry and has offered proposals to prohibit the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating chemicals in ammunition. According to the Sunlight Foundation, the NSSF has spent $1.7 million on lobbying efforts since 1998, .
Steve Sanetti, the president since 2008, is a former Army captain and former president of Sturm, Ruger & Co. where he "helped direct 'the successful coordinated response to municipal lawsuits that threatened the firearms industry in the late 1990s,' according to a 2008 press release".
Doug Painter, a former NSSF president, was featured in a video released by the group in 2009.
Industry and NSSF history
The state of Connecticut has a long history in the manufacture of guns, going back to Eli Whitney and Samuel Colt. Since 2000, as the national interest in hunting has declined according to one report, gun manufacturers have increasingly relied on the sale of high-powered semi-automatic rifles. In that context, NSSF has concentrated on marketing semi-automatic rifles.
Between 2000 and 2003 the Federal Trade Commission conducted an anti-trust investigation of gun industry players including the NSSF. It was alleged that they were boycotting Smith & Wesson due to that company's agreement with the Clinton administration to require background checks on purchasers and provide gun locks. The probe was suspended in 2003 by the Bush administration, with the NSSF's general counsel claiming it had been politically motivated.
The NSSF alleged in a September 2008 letter that Barack Obama's presidential campaign had unlawfully obtained an NSSF proprietary name and address list of media attendees of that year's Shot Show, and that the campaign had then used the list to e-mail a press release concerning National Hunting and Fishing Day.
In response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that occurred on December 14, 2012, three miles from the organization's headquarters, the NSSF expressed its sympathies on its website and declined to immediately comment out of respect for those affected.
NSSF and Shooting Range Development
Within the firearms industry the National Shooting Sports Foundation promotes the development of state-of-the-art target shooting facilities by providing leadership in information, communication and partnerships between ranges, industry and community. To meet the National Shooting Sports Foundation's criteria of a Five Star facility, a range must demonstrate excellence in all aspects of management and operations. Ranges are rated on appearance, management, customer service, amenities, customer development and community relations. The first range to receive this distinction was H&H Shooting Sports in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, there are currently 33 ranges with the distinction of a Five Star facility.
- Selwood Farm - Alpine, AL 35014
- Ben Avery Shooting Facility - Phoenix, AZ 85086
- Scottsdale Gun Club - Scottsdale, AZ 85260
- Tucson Trap & Skeet Club - Tucson, AZ 85735
- Indian River County Public Shooting Range - Sebastian, FL 32958
- Okeechobee Shooting Sports, LLC - Okeechobee, FL 34972
- Center Target Sports Inc. - Post Falls, ID 83854
- Centerfire Shooting Sports - Olathe, KS 66061
- Flint Oak Hunting Resort - Fall River, KS 67047
- Ravenwood Lodge - Topeka, KS 66610
- Action Impact - Southfield, MI 48033
- Top Gun Shooting Sports, Inc. - Taylor, MI 48180
- Bill's Gun Shop & Range - Robbinsdale, MN 55422
- Bill's Gun Shop & Range North - Circle Pines, MN 55014
- Metro Shooting Supplies # 2 Indoor Range and Training Academy - Bridgeton, MO 63044
- The Sound of Freedom USA, LLC - Ozark, MO 65721
- Top Gun Shooting Sports - Arnold, MO 63010
- Ultimate Defense Firing Range & Training Center - Saint Peters, MO 63376
- Point Blank Range - Mooresville, NC 28117
- The Range at Lake Norman - Cornelius, NC 28031
- Clark County Shooting Complex - Las Vegas, NV 89131
- Guns and Ammo Garage - Las Vegas, NV 89118
- Black Wing Shooting Center - Delaware, OH 43015
- Vandalia Range & Armory - Vandalia, OH 45377
- H&H Shooting Sports Complex - Oklahoma City, OK 73108
- Pocono Pistol Club LLC - Stroudsburg, PA 18360
- Tripoli's Triggers - Williamsport, PA 17701
- Elm Fork Clay Sports, Inc. - Dallas, TX 75220
- The Arms Room, LLC - League City, TX 77573
- Colonial Shooting Academy - Richmond, VA 23230
- West Coast Armory Indoor Range - Bellevue, WA 98005
- Bill's Gun Shop & Range Hudson - Hudson, WI 54016
- Milford Hills Hunt Club - Johnson Creek, WI 53038
- Firearms Industry's Trade Association | About NSSF, NSSF.org, Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- The History of The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), NSSF.org, Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- DePillis, Lydia.The Second Most Powerful Gun Lobby Is in Newtown, Connecticut, The New Republic, December 14, 2012, retrieved, December 20, 2012.
- Rawlings, Nate. In the Shadow of Sandy Hook, a Powerful Pro-Gun Organization Keeps Silent, Time, December 15, 2012. Retrieved, December 20, 2012.
- Gun Control and Gun Rights: Legislation, Policy and Influence, Sunlight Foundation, Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- Wilkie, Christina and Saki Knafo, "National Shooting Sports Foundation, Newtown Gun Lobby, Keeps Military-Style Guns Legal", 12/22/2012. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- "US regulators call off antitrust probe of gun industry", TerraNet, August 28, 2003. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "Obama Campaign Unlawfully Misuses Proprietary Firearms Industry Media List", Ammoland.com, October 8, 2008, Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- Folco, Mark. "OPEN SEASON: Gun owners have a clear-cut choice", South Coast Today, October 19, 2008, Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- McShane, Larry. Gun lobby thrives just 3 miles from Sandy Hook school where shooter killed 26, New York Daily News, December 15, 2012. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- H&H Shooting Sports Complex