|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2011)|
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (January 2011)|
|Type||Online news website|
|Owner(s)||Annenberg Digital News|
|Publisher||University of Southern California Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism|
|Headquarters||University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA
Neon Tommy is a web-only student publication. The website is considered a Los Angeles-based news source, focusing on Los Angeles and California, but also covering national and international stories.
The website offers students at the schools a platform through which to learn journalism.
The website launched in spring 2009 and received a redesign during summer 2010. The website receives 5 million visitors annually, from more than 120 countries.
- Won an L.A. Press Club award in 2010 for its reporting of the local swine flu crisis.
- Won two L.A. Press Club awards in 2011 and received two honorable mentions as well.
- Won 10 L.A. Press Club awards in 2012, including for best sports photo and best online feature.
- Was recognized by the Online News Association for its coverage of a shooting on campus in April 2012 that left two graduate students dead. The National Entertainment Journalism Awards included several Neon Tommy articles among its finalists, including for best online critic.
Unlike the Daily Trojan, USC's student newspaper, Neon Tommy does not report on events on campus.
It is operated, edited and managed by graduate and undergraduate students from all disciplines.
A team of editors coordinates a staff of volunteers, who range from regular reporters to occasional contributors. Editors for Summer 2014
- Will Federman, Editor-in-Chief
- Sara Newman, Deputy Editor
- Alex Gold, Social Media Director
- Kathy Zerbib, Senior Entertainment Editor
- Jillian Morabito, Senior Entertainment Editor
- Gabi Duncan, Style Editor
- Janelle Cabuco, Arts Editor
- Matthew Tufts, Senior Sports Editor
- Jacob Freedman, Sports Editor-at-Large
- Max Meyer, Sports Editor-at-Large
- Francesca Bessey, Senior Opinion Editor