Northwest Township, Williams County, Ohio
|Northwest Township, Williams County, Ohio|
The brass disc officially marking Ohio's northwestern corner
Location of Northwest Township in Williams County
|• Total||33.0 sq mi (85.4 km2)|
|• Land||32.6 sq mi (84.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||42.4/sq mi (16.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087173|
- Camden Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan - north
- Amboy Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan - northeast
- Bridgewater Township - east
- Superior Township - southeast corner
- Florence Township - south
- Richland Township, Steuben County, Indiana - southwest
- York Township, Steuben County, Indiana - west
No municipalities are located in Northwest Township.
Because Williams County is located in the northwestern corner of Ohio, and because Northwest Township is located in the northwestern corner of Williams County, it is located in the northwestern corner of the entire state. As a result, it is the only township is the state to border both Indiana and Michigan.
Name and history
It is the only Northwest Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Williams County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.