O Holy Night
"O Holy Night" ("Cantique de Noël") is a well-known Christmas carol composed by Adolphe Adam in 1847 to the French poem "Minuit, chrétiens" (Midnight, Christians) by Placide Cappeau (1808–1877). Cappeau, a wine merchant and poet, had been asked by a parish priest to write a Christmas poem. Unitarian minister John Sullivan Dwight, editor of Dwight's Journal of Music, created a singing edition based on Cappeau's French text in 1855. In both the French original and in the two familiar English versions of the carol, the text reflects on the birth of Jesus and of mankind's redemption.
|Placide Cappeau's Cantique de Noël||Literal English Translation|
|John Sullivan Dwight's Version||Unattributed Version|
Notable renderings 
The song has also been recorded through the years by many notable singers such as Anita Bryant, Mariah Carey, Bing Crosby, Céline Dion, Josh Groban, Whitney Houston, The Lettermen, and Andy Williams, to name only a few.
- On 24 December 1906, Reginald Fessenden, a Canadian inventor, broadcast the first AM radio program, which started with a phonograph record of Handel's aria "Ombra mai fu" followed by Fessenden playing "O Holy Night" on the violin and singing the final verse. As such, the carol was the second piece of music to be broadcast on radio.
- Tenor Enrico Caruso recorded a version in 1916 which is still in print today.
- Mireille Mathieu and Roger Mathieu (her father) sang this song together on her Chante Noël 1968 album, which was re-released as a CD in 2004 with three additional songs.
- David Foster arranged and produced the song successfully for several different artists including Michael Crawford, whose rendering in the 1993 TV special The David Foster Christmas Album was also featured on Foster's best-selling corresponding album (No. 48 Billboard Top 200 in 1993) as well as Crawford's own A Christmas Album (No. 98 Billboard Top 200 in 1999); the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's platinum-selling DVD The Ghosts of Christmas Eve (1999); Michelle Williams in Destiny's Child 2001 album 8 Days of Christmas; Celine Dion's rendering was voted most popular in a 2004 poll and featured on her 5x platinum album These Are Special Times; Josh Groban (No. 1 Billboard Adult Contemporary in 2002); Andrea Bocelli for his 2009 double platinum My Christmas album; and most recently by Jackie Evancho for her 2010 EP O Holy Night.
- Four country music artists have charted on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts with renderings of "O Holy Night": John Berry charted at No. 55 in 1996 and No. 63 in 1998; Martina McBride's rendering charted on five separate occasions, peaking at No. 74 in 1997, No. 67 in 1998, No. 49 in 1999, No. 57 in 2000, and No. 41 in 2001; Josh Gracin's at No. 59 in 2006; and Edens Edge's at No. 59 in 2012.
- It was sung by Lea Michele on the TV show Glee's 2010 album Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album, and later shown in the season four episode "Swan Song".
- In 2012, "O Holy Night" was recorded by Ladywell Primary School from the Scottish town of Motherwell, in honour of classmate Caden Beggan, who died following a losing battle with meningococcal septicaemia. 90% of the funds raised from the sale of the single went to the Meningitis Research Foundation (with the other 10% going to the school). The song peaked at No 39 on the UK Singles Chart.
- Collins, Ace; , Stories of Best-loved Songs of Christmas, Grand Rapids, MI, Zondervan, pp. 132-138.
- Nobbman, Dale V. 'Christmas Music Companion Fact Book.' 2000. p 36. Google Books
- Collins, Ace, , Stories Behind the Best-loved Songs of Christmas, Grand Rapids, MI, Zondervan,p.137-138
- Early Radio History web-site quoting "Builder of Tomorrows" by Helen Fessenden, 1940, pages 153-154, Accessed 7 December 2010
- http://www.musicarchivevault.com, (subscription required)
- http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/story/cole.s-christmas-song-tops-poll, Edison Research 2004 seasonal song test poll results
- http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=SEARCH, searchable RIAA database
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 49. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Whitburn, p. 263
- Whitburn, p. 166
- IMSLP Original version in several keys, and various arrangements.
- Free sheet music for voice & piano from Cantorion.org
- Sheet music for "O Holy Night" (Cantique de Noël)
- Tabs for "O Holy Night"
- Sheet music for solo piano arrangement of "O Holy Night" (Cantique de Noël)
"Cry" by Faith Hill
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single by Josh Groban
December 28, 2002 - January 4, 2003
"Cry" by Faith Hill