O Magnum Mysterium
O Magnum Mysterium is a responsorial chant from the Matins of Christmas. A number of composers have reworked the chant into a contemporary setting; the settings by Byrd, Victoria, Gombert, Gabrieli, Palestrina, Poulenc, Judith Bingham, Harbison, La Rocca, Mäntyjärvi, Pierre Villette, Morales, Lauridsen, Kevin Memley, Busto, Louie, Maw David Conte and Miskinis are notable.
- Latin text
- O magnum mysterium,
- et admirabile sacramentum,
- ut animalia viderent Dominum natum,
- jacentem in praesepio!
- Beata Virgo, cujus viscera
- meruerunt portare
- Dominum Christum.
- English translation
- O great mystery,
- and wonderful sacrament,
- that animals should see the new-born Lord,
- lying in a manger!
- Blessed is the Virgin whose womb
- was worthy to bear
- Christ the Lord.
- Free scores of O Magnum Mysterium in the Choral Public Domain Library (ChoralWiki)
- O Magnum Mysterium by Grex Vocalis
- Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridsen
- Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridsen by Lumen Valo
|This Christian music-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|