Oakdale (LIRR station)
Oakdale station from the entrance at Oakdale-Bohemia Road.
|Address||Montauk Highway & Oakdale-Bohemia Road
Oakdale, New York
|Connections||Suffolk County Transit: S40|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
Oakdale is a picturesque railroad station on the Montauk Branch of the Long Island Rail Road, on the corner of Oakdale-Bohemia Road and Montauk Boulevard in view of Montauk Highway across Norman DeMott Park, in Oakdale, New York. This train station is located in the Connetquot Central School District.
Oakdale Station was originally built as a depot by the South Side Railroad of Long Island in 1868, and was larger than most SSRRLI Depots. It was razed in 1890 and a second station built in December of that year. Legend has it that the station was rebuilt in order to be suitable for guests arriving at the wedding of Consuelo Vanderbilt. As a result, the station is often referred to as "the wedding station." On December 10, 1994, the station lived up to its given nickname by hosting an actual wedding in front of the fireplace in the waiting room. Oakdale station also included a freight house that was active until the 1970s. Today this freight house is a storage facility for the LIRR.
Platforms and tracks
|1||■Montauk Branch||toward New York (Great River)|
|2||■Montauk Branch||toward Montauk (Sayville)|
The station has two high-level side platforms each four cars long. The north platform next to Track 1 is generally used by westbound trains; the south platform next to Track 2 is generally used by eastbound trains. The Montauk Branch has two tracks here.
Notable Places Nearby
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Original Oakdale Station (Arrt's Arrchives)
- Dowling College; The Estate and Environs (Oakdale Railroad Station)
- Morrison, David D.; Pakaluk, Valerie (2003). Long Island Rail Road Stations. Images of Rail. Chicago: Arcadia Publishing. p. 95. ISBN 0-7385-1180-3. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
Media related to Oakdale (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Oakdale
- Station timetable for Oakdale
- Train #272 @ Oakdale Station (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Oakdale Freight House (1971 Photo) (Unofficial LIRR Website)
- YouTube Videos
- Unofficial LIRR Photography Site (lirrpics.com)
- Station from Oakdale-Bohemia Road from Google Maps Street View