Oakland City Council
The Oakland City Council is an elected governing body representing the City of Oakland, California.
Since 1998, Oakland has had a mayor-council government. The mayor is elected for a four-year term. The Oakland City Council has eight council members representing seven districts in Oakland with one member elected at-large; council members serve staggered four-year terms. The mayor appoints a city administrator, subject to the confirmation by the City Council, who is the chief administrative officer of the city. Other city officers include: city attorney (elected), city auditor (elected), and city clerk (appointed by city administrator). Oakland's Mayor is subject to a tenure limited to two terms. There are no term limits for the city council. Three council members are currently on their fourth term.
- District 1 - Dan Kalb (2013)
- District 2 - Patricia Kernighan (also Council President) (2005, ...) (re-elected 2010)
- District 3 - Lynette Gibson McElhaney (2013)
- District 4 - Libby Schaaf (2011, ...) (elected 2010)
- District 5 - Noel Gallo (2013)
- District 6 - Desley Brooks (2002, ...) (elected 2002, 2006, 2010)
- District 7 - Larry Reid (also Vice Mayor) (1997, ...) (re-elected in 2004, 2008, and 2012)
- Councilmember At Large - Rebecca Kaplan (also President Pro Tempore) (2009, ...) (2008, reelected in 2012)
- Frank H. Ogawa, first Japanese American on the City Council, served from 1966 until his death in 1994.
- Henry Chang, Jr appointed to at-large seat 1994 after death of Frank Ogawa, elected in 1997. Served until 2009.
- Jean Quan, councilmember for District 4 from 2003 – 2011, subsequently elected mayor.
- John A. Russo, served 1994–2000
- Danny Wan
- Moses Mayne
- Wilson Riles (son of Wilson Riles, Sr.), councilmember from 1979 to 1992 
- Nancy Nadel, served 1996-2012
- Ignacio De La Fuente, served 1992-2012
- Oakland Municipal Code. Accessed August 31, 2007.
- Gammon, Robert (2011-11-10). "Breaking news: Jean Quan wins mayor's race". East Bay Express. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- November 2 2010 Election results
- 2006 Election results
- 2010 Election results
- 2004 results
- 2008 results
- 2008 results
- "Oakland History Timeline". City of Oakland, Oakland History Room of the Oakland Public Library. Archived from the original on 2011-11-10. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- Lowenthal, Abraham F.; Pacific Council on International Policy (2009-02-25). Global California: rising to the cosmopolitan challenge. Stanford University Press. p. 64. ISBN 978-0-8047-6227-4. Retrieved 2011-11-10. Lay summary. "Frank Ogawa, also Japanese American, served twenty-eight years on the Oakland City Council." Foreword by Kevin Starr
- Allen, Annalee; Lee, Sam. Oakland City Center: Frank H. Ogawa Statue (video). EzineMark.com. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- Heredia, Christopher (October 14, 2008). "Oakland runoff: old guard vs. outsider". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved February 12, 2010. "Oakland school board member Kerry Hamill faces AC Transit board member Rebecca Kaplan ... to replace incumbent Councilman Henry Chang Jr., who served 14 years in the citywide seat."
- Map of council districts