Ola Didrik Saugstad
Ola Didrik Saugstad
|Born||5 March 1947|
|Alma mater||University of Oslo|
|Known for||Research on resuscitation of newborn children|
|Awards||See separate section|
Ola Didrik Saugstad (born 5 March 1947) is a Norwegian pediatrician, who is internationally recognized for his research on resuscitation of newborn children. In 2010, international guidelines for newborn resuscitation were amended, based on the research of Saugstad and his colleagues, to recommend the use of air in place of pure oxygen, a discovery that is estimated to save the lives of 200,000 newborn children each year. Saugstad is the most widely cited Norwegian pediatrician.
He graduated with the cand. med. degree the University of Oslo in 1973, and worked as a research fellow at Uppsala University Hospital and The National Hospital in Norway. In 1977, he earned a doctoral research degree (dr. med.). He was appointed consultant in newborn medicine in 1986. In 1991, he became Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Oslo and Director of the Department of Pediatric Research at The National Hospital. From 2002 to 2004 he was President of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine. He was a board member of the European Society of Pediatric Research from 1987 to 1990, of the International Pediatric Foundation from 2001 to 2004.
He has published more than 250 articles and book chapters in journals and books and is one of the most prominent Norwegian medical researchers. He is an editor or member of the editorial board of several medical journals, and has served as a referee for more than 30 journals. He has also received several awards, and is honorary member of several medical societies. He has supervised 20 dr. med./PhD degrees.
He is the grandson of linguist Didrik Arup Seip, who served as Rector of the University of Oslo. He is also the son of professor of psychology Per Saugstad and brother of professor of philosophy Jens Saugstad.
Awards and recognitions
- Member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- The Laerdal Award in Acute Medicine, 1995 (University of Oslo)
- The Arvo Ylppö Medal in Neonatology, 1997 (University of Helsinki)
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh, 1997
- Honorary member of the Hungarian Paediatric Association, 2000
- Honorary member of the Norwegian Perinatal Society, 2001
- The Virginia Apgar Prize, 2001
- Honorary member of the Finnish Perinatal Society, 2005
- Honorary member of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine, 2006
- The Human Protection Award (Livsvernprisen) (with Torleiv Ole Rognum), 2007
- Knight First Class of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav, 2010
- Märta Philipson Award for Progress in Pediatrics (University of Stockholm), 2010
- Honorary member of the American Pediatric Society 2011
- American Academy of Pediatrics Landmark Award 2011
- The Bjørnson Prize 2011
- SalusAnsvar Nordic Medical Award, 2012
- Honorary doctorate, University of Athens, 2014
- Honorary Professor, Moscow State University, 2014
- Kan redde 200 000 nyfødte - forskning.no
- Henriksen, Petter, ed. (2007). "Ola Didrik Saugstad". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Utnemning til St. Olavs Orden" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Royal House. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Gruppe 7: Medisinske fag" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Norwegian paediatrician honoured by University of Athens, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs