31 July 1950|
|Died||7 July 2011
Olav Versto (31 July 1950 – 7 July 2011) was a Norwegian journalist and editor, primarily known for his work for the newspaper Verdens Gang.
Education and career
Versto received a cand.mag. degree from the University of Oslo in 1976. He started his career in the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation in 1977, and was hired as a subeditor of Verdens Gang, Norway's largest newspaper, in 1987. From 1994 to 2008 he was the political editor of Verdens Gang. After that he became the editor of the op-ed section of the newspaper.
Olav Versto hailed from Vinje, and was the grandson of Olav Aslakson Versto and son of Aslak Versto, both politicians. He was himself politically involved, and was a forceful activist for the failed campaign for Norwegian European Union membership in 1994. In his later years, Versto was involved in the debate over the conflict between Islam and the West. In 2003, he went far towards supporting the US-led invasion of Iraq, a controversial stance in Norway at the time.
Versto was married to Kari Storsletten, journalist in the newspaper Aftenposten. The two were in 2007 ranked as number four among the most powerful media couples in Norway, by the online business newspaper NA24.
Following his death, Versto was praised by several prominent figures, including Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, former Prime Ministers Gro Harlem Brundtland, Kjell Magne Bondevik, Kåre Willoch and World War II veteran Gunnar Sønsteby.
- Årsakene til flyttinga av bygdesenteret, og framvoksterenav "Bø-gata". with Truls Frogner and Halvor Kleppen. Bø: Telemark District College. 1972.
- Dobbelt-agenten. with Harald Henden and Erik H. Sønstelie. Oslo: Norwegian Foundation for Investigative Journalism. 1998.
- Knut Olav Åmås, ed. (2008). Hvem er hvem?. Oslo: Aschehoug. p. 621. ISBN 978-82-03-23561-0.
- Nygaard, Fridtjof (8 July 2011). "Olav Versto omkom i ulykke". Verdens Gang (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Skartveit, Hanne (8 July 2011). "En stor pressemann". Verdens Gang (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Olufsen, Bernt (8 July 2011). "Olav Versto er død". Verdens Gang (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Bjørkeng, Per Kristian (8 July 2011). "VG-kommentator Olav Versto er død". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Utvik, André Clark; Sigvald Sveinbjørnsson (19 September 2011). "Disse parene har størst makt". NA24 (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Aas, Tarald Reinholt (8 July 2011). "VGs Olav Versto omkom i Farsund". Fædrelandsvennen (in Norwegian). Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Haugan, Bjørn; Hans Henrik Torgersen (9 July 2011). "Gro minnes Olav Versto: - Han hadde oss rett under huden". Verdens Gang (in Norwegian). Retrieved 9 July 2011.