Orator F. Cook
|Orator Fuller Cook|
May 28, 1867|
Clyde, New York, USA
|Died||April 23, 1949
Lanham, Maryland, USA
|Alma mater||Syracuse University|
|Known for||Coining of speciation|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||O.F.Cook|
|Author abbrev. (zoology)||Cook|
Cook, born in Clyde, New York in 1867, graduated from Syracuse University in 1890. He worked for one year as an instructor at Syracuse. In 1891 Cook became a special agent of the New York State Colonization Society. He worked in Liberia, and in 1896, he was elected president of Liberia College. He held that position until 1898. That year he joined the United States Department of Agriculture as a plant scientist, and eventually became Principal Botanist and traveled throughout the world investigating crop species for the United States government. He specialized in cotton and rubber plants and the classification of palms, particularly the palms of Hispaniola. He published almost four hundred books and articles during his career, and was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Science by Syracuse University in 1930. Cook served as Honorary Assistant Curator of Cryptogamic Collections at the United States National Herbarium from 1898 until 1948.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Berlocher, Stewart H. (1998). "Origins: a Brief History of Research on Speciation". In Howard, Daniel J.; Berlocher, Stewart H. Endless Forms: Species and Speciation. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 3. ISBN 0195109015.
- "Author Query for 'O.F.Cook'". International Plant Names Index.
- University of Chicago Library Guide to the Orator F. Cook Papers - Accessed 13 June 2011
- Orator Fuller Cook, Jr. - Accessed 13 June 2011
- Leopold, Robert S. (August 1994). "Orator Fuller Cook, Jr.". A Guide to Early African Collections in the Smithsonian Institution: 25-26. http://anthropology.si.edu/leopold/pubs/early_african_collections.pdf.
- Gade, Daniel W. (1970). "The Contributions Of O. F. Cook To Cultural Geography". The Professional Geographer 22 (4): 206–209. doi:10.1111/j.0033-0124.1970.00206.x.
- Myriapod publications by Orator Fuller Cook from the International Society of Myriapodology
- Guide to the Orator F. Cook Papers 1889-1898. Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library