Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (August 2013)|
|Osei Tutu II|
|Asantehene of Asante; Kumasehene of Kumasi|
|Osei Tutu II|
|Reign||26 April 1999 – present|
|Coronation||26 April 1999|
|Predecessor||Osei Bonsu II|
|Spouse||Queen consort Julia Osei Tutu|
|Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II|
|House||House of Oyoko Dynasty|
|Father||Grand duke Nana Kwame Boakye|
|Mother||Queen Asantehemaa Ampem II|
6 May 1950 |
Manhyia Hospital, Kumasi, Kingdom of Ashanti
Osei Tutu II (Otumfuo Osei Tutu, born 6 May 1950), is the 16th King Asantehene of the Kingdom of Ashanti absolute monarchy and head of the Ashanti Royal house of the House of Beretuo Dynasty, King of Ashanti and the Ashanti people in Ashanti, Ghana. King Asantehene Osei Tutu II ascended the Golden Stool throne on 26 April 1999. By name, king Asantehene Osei Tutu II is in direct succession to the founder of the Empire of Ashanti, Otumfuo Osei Tutu I.
Born on 6 May 1950, and named Nana Barima Kwaku Dua, King Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, is the youngest of the five children Ashanti Queen Nana Afua Kobi Serwaa Ampem, II, Asantehemaa (Queen mother of the Kingdom of Ashanti). His father's name is Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa from Kantinkyere in Ashanti and was also the Brehyia Duke" of Ashanti. Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa died on 1 January 2002, in Kumasi, Ashanti.
King Asantehene Osei Tutu II has six children. King Asantehene Osei Tutu II's father, Nana Boakye also had other children from other marriages. Some of his other siblings are Yaw Boateng (living in Canada), Kwaku Duah (USA), Kwabena Agyei-Bohyen, Afua Sarpong and Ama Agyemang (Kumasi, Ashanti), Fredua Agyeman Prempeh (USA), and Nana Kwasi Agyemang Prempeh.
King Asantehene Osei Tutu II' name at birth, Nana Barima Kwaku Duah, is the name of the Ashanti king's paternal grandfather.
Titles and styles
|Monarchical styles of
King Asantehene Osei Tutu II of the Kingdom of Ashanti
|Reference style||His Majesty|
|Spoken style||Your Majesty|
|Alternative style||Asantehene ma Asanteman|
- 6 May 1950 – 26 April 1999: His Royal Highness Prince Nana Dua of the Kingdom of Ashanti
- 26 April 1999 – present: His Majesty The Asantehene (King) of the Kingdom of Ashanti
King Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II of the Kingdom of Ashanti graduated in Philosophy first class degree and degree of Doctor of Philosophy, conferred at a ceremony at The Barbican Centre, London on 11 January 2006.
Kingdom of Ashanti and state union with Ghana
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2013)|
- Queen consort Lady Julia Osei Tutu. The Kingdom of Ashanti Monarchy.
- Kingdom of Ashanti Kings And Queens Of Asante
- Asantehene expresses frustration over Sunshine CITI Project delay. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Asantehene appeals to all to share in the development of education. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Asantehene Urges President Mahama & Vice Amissah-Arthur To Remain Focused In Their Work. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Vice-President Amissah-Arthur pays courtesy call on Asantehene. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Asantehene urges teachers to continue working hard. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Asantehene's jewel: Norway police release CCTV footage of suspects. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Two items in Asantehene's jewel case retrieved. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "BBC News - Ghana's Ashanti crown jewels stolen in Norway hotel". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-10-12. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- Asantehene Calls for More Education on Forest Plantation. Ghana News Agency 2010-11-04. Web. Retrieved 2010-11-09.