Palestinian casualties of war
Note: Article is not comprehensive. Some records of Palestinian casualties are under dispute. The criteria used for this article: Casualties inflicted by war or combat. Casualties considered to be "unnecessary deaths" not included. Graph only includes casualties of Arab Palestinians and not other actors. Bold indicates major actors.
|Conflicts prior to Israel's independence||Actors involved||Combatant deaths||Civilian deaths||Total deaths||Combatant and/or Civilian wounded||Total casualties|
|1920 Palestine riots||British Empire, Mohammad Amin al-Husayni, Ze'ev Jabotinsky.||Not applicable||4||4||23||31|
|Jaffa riots||British Army, Arab rioters.||unknown||unknown||48+||73||121|
|1929 Palestine riots||, British Army||116 rioters||unknown||116 Arabs
|1936–1939 Arab revolt in Palestine||British Army, Mohammad Amin al-Husayni, Haganah, Arab High Command.||British and Jewish forces 562; Palestinian Arabs ca.5,000||3,000–6,000||15,550 of which,15,000 Arab Palestinians.||18,000–24,000+|
|Palestine Civil War||British Army, Army of the Holy War, Arab Liberation Army.Irgun, Haganah, Palmach.||400–600||200–300||At least 720||1,171||1,800|
|Conflicts||Actors involved||Combatant deaths||Civilian deaths||Total deaths||Combatant and/or Civilian wounded||Total casualties|
|1948 Arab-Israeli War, also referred to as the Catastrophe and the War of Independence or War of Liberation.||Israel Defense Forces||ca. 6,000 Israeli troops;3,700 foreign Arab troops;1,953 Palestinians died during battles.||11,047 Palestinians missing presumed dead though not known to have died in combat situations||3,000-13 000 (The higher figure indicate missing and presumed death, though not known to have died in combat situation) ||ca.3,000?|
|1949–1967 fedayeen war||Egyptian Armed Forces||2,700–5,000||unknown||2,800–5,000+||considered heavy, at least 500||3,200–5,000|
|Qibya massacre||Israel Defense Forces||unknown||42||42||unknown||42|
|Battle of Karameh||Israel Defense Forces,||156||0||156||100||256|
|War of Attrition||IDF special forces, Palestinian Baathist||At least 100||unknown||100||unknown||100+|
|Black September in Jordan 1970–1971||Jordan||3,400–20,000||unknown||3,400–20,000||unknown||3,400–20,000+|
|1973 Israeli raid on Lebanon||Israel Defense forces||100+||0||100+||unknown||100+|
|Lebanese Civil War (1975–1977)||Lebanon||unknown, thousands||5,000+||unknown, At least 5,000||unknown, At least 4,000||5,000–10,000+|
|1978 South Lebanon conflict||Lebanon||1,000–2,000||0||1,000–2,000||unknown, heavy||2,000+|
|1982 Lebanon War||Lebanon||unknown||unknown||5,000-8,000
|War of the Camps||Lebanon||2,000 killed by Amal, 3,000+ killed by other Palestinians||unknown, heavy||5,000+||unknown, heavy||8,000+|
|First Intifada||Israel Defense Forces||1,000 killed by Israel security forces, 1,000 killed by other Palestinians||unknown||At least 2,000||unknown, heavy||2,000+|
|Second Intifada||Israel Defense Forces||2,000–3,500+, disputed||1,099–2,800||4,791 killed by Israeli security forces, 714 killed by other Palestinians||8,611||13,400+|
||248||at least 98||600||1,000 wounded||1,600|
|2008–9 Gaza War||Israel Defense Forces||491–709, disputed||295–962||1,166–1,417||5,303||6,400–6,700|
|March 2012 Gaza-Israel clashes||Israel Defense Forces||18||3||21||24||45|
|November 2012 Israeli "Operation Pillar of Defense"-Gaza||Israel Defense Forces||67–120||57–107||174–177||unknown||174|
Wars ranked by total deaths
- Lebanon Civil War
- Black September
- 1948 Arab-Israeli War
- Fedayeen conflict 1949–1967
- Second Intifada
- First Intifada
- Six-Day War
- Zionist terrorism
- Timeline of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2002
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2003
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2004
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2005
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2006
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2007
- Violence in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict 2008
- List of violent incidents in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, 2011
- Israeli casualties of war
- http://parlipapers.chadwyck.co.uk/marketing/index.jsp[dead link]
- Great Britain, 1930: Report of the Commission on the disturbances of August 1929, Command paper 3530 (Shaw Commission report), p. 65.
- The 1936 Riots. Jewishvirtuallibrary.org.
- British Rule in Palestine, http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/brits.htm
- Gilbert, Martin (2005). Routledge Atlas of the Arab-Israeli Conflict.
- Morris 2008, pp. 404–406.
- Arab Israel War 1948–1949. Onwar.com.
- Henry Laurens, La Question de Palestine, Fayard, Paris 2007 vol.3 p.194.The total figure of those missing who are not known to have died in battle is given by 'Arif al-'Arif as 11,047, composed of 4,004 people whose names are unknown, but the place and dates of the circumstances are known:7,043 dead whose names are unknown, nor dates of death, but of whom the villages where they dwelt at the time are known.
- Laurens 2007 p.194
- Morris 2008, pp. 404–406.
- Orna Almog (2003). Britain, Israel, and the United States, 1955–1958: Beyond Suez. Routledge. p. 20. ISBN 0-7146-5246-6.
- Benny Morris (1993). Border Wars, 1949–1956: The Sinai-Suez Wars and the end of the Fedayeen. Oxford University Press. pp. 419–425. ISBN 0-19-829262-7.
- Thomas G. Mitchell (2000). Native Vs. Settler: Ethnic Conflict in Israel/Palestine, Northern Ireland, and South Africa. p. 133. ISBN 0-313-31357-1.
- Benny Morris (1993) Israel's Border Wars, 1949–1956: Arab Infiltration, Israeli Retaliation, and the Countdown to the Suez War Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-829262-7 P 67
- Benny Morris, Israel's Border Wars, 1949–1956: Arab Infiltration, Israeli Retaliation and the Countdown to the Suez War, Oxford University Press, 1993, pp. 258–9.
- Pollack (2002), pp. 331–332
- The Israeli Commando Assault on Green Island. Jewishvirtuallibrary.org (10 July 1969).
- Israeli Elite Units since 1948, Sam Katz, Osprey Publishing 1988, p.31-32
- Bailey, p.59, The Making of a War, John Bulloch, p.67
- Massad, Joseph Andoni. Colonial Effects: The Making of National Identity in Jordan. Page 342.
- Tel El Zaatar 1976 'Tal el zaatar' ' Tel al zaatar '. Liberty05.com.
- Lebanon (Civil War 1975–1991). Globalsecurity.org.
- Osprey Men-At-Arms series, 1985
- Gabriel, Richard , A, Operation Peace for Galilee, The Israeli-PLO War in Lebanon, New York: Hill & Wang. 1984, p. 164, 165, ISBN 0-8090-7454-0
- Fisk, Robert (2001). Pity the Nation: Lebanon at War. Oxford University Press. pp. 255–257. ISBN 978-0-19-280130-2.
- "The 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon: the casualties". Race & Class 24 (4): 340–3. 1983. doi:10.1177/030639688302400404.
- Lebanese Civil War 1985 – 1987. Liberty05.com.
- Collaborators , One Year Al-Aqsa Intifada , Fact Sheets And Figures. Phrmg.org.
- Fatalities in the first Intifada | B'Tselem. Btselem.org.
- ICT Middleastern Conflict Statistics Project. 220.127.116.11 (1 January 2005).
- Fatalities | B'Tselem. Btselem.org.
- The Intrafada: Palestinians Killed by Palestinians. Jewishvirtuallibrary.org.
-  "Over 600 Palestinians killed in internal clashes since 2006"
- [dead link]
- "New Israeli Airstrikes Kill 3 in Gaza". 12 March 2012.
- Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on the implementation of Human Rights Council resolutions S-9/1 and S-12/1, Addendum, 6 March 2013.
- After eight days of fighting, ceasefire is put to the test