|Nickname(s): බෞද්ධ පුනර්ජීවන නගරය (Revival town of Buddhist)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||4,130/km2 (10,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||Summer time (UTC+6)|
Panadura(Sinhala: පානදුර, Tamil: பாணந்துறை) is a large town and populated town in Kalutara District, Western Province in Sri Lanka,It is located approximately 27 km south of the capital Colombo. Panadura known as revival town of Buddhism. The town is governed by an Urban Council.
The Panadura Debate, held in 1862, was the climax of the first phase of the Buddhist revivalist movement which began with the establishment of the Society for the Propagation of Buddhism at Kotahena and the establishment of the Lankopakara Press in Galle.
The two key persons in the Panadura Debate were Migettuwatte Gunananda Thera and Father David de Silva. Gunananda Thera was acclaimed as a debater of a very high order after this debate and his personality deeply affected the resurgence of Buddhism which was to follow. He was described as "the boldest, most brilliant and most powerful champion of Sinhalese Buddhism" and the leader of the Buddhist revival.
It was the success of the Panadura Debate that prompted Colonel Henry Steel Olcott to come to Ceylon. He was impressed with what he read in the newspapers in the United States on the Debate and immediately sent a mass of pamphlets and other literature which were very critical of Christianity. Gunananda Thera had these translated into Sinhalese and distributed them throughout the island.
Rail Panadura station is located further east of the town serviced by the Colombo - Matara line.
Bus Due to Panadura being situated along Galle Rd, it is serviced by many bus routes terminating at Panadura as well as ones heading further south.
Local Bus routes terminating at Panadura:
- 100 - Pettah / Colombo
- 142 - Moratuwa
- 183 - Nugegoda
- 400/7 - Kalutara
- 450/5 - Horana
- 450/9 - Mahabellana
- 451 - Niwdawa
- 452 - Rukgaha
- 453/1- Malamulla
- 453 - Kiriberiya
- 454 - Mahawila
- 455 - Morawinna
- 456 - Diggala
- 457 - Hirana
- 457/1 - Battaramulla (Office time bus)
- 459 - Anguruwathota
- 463 - Moronthuduwa
- 465 - Gonapola
- 466 - Indigaha
Long Distance Bus routes terminating at Panadura:
- 17 - Kandy
- 240/100 - Negombo
- 17/1 - Nittambuwa / Divulapitiya / Kurunegala / Anuradhapura
- 64/3 - Wellawaya/ Monaragala /Wadinagala / Ampara
- 48 - Horana / Hanwella / Nittauwa / Kurunegala / Dabulla / Kaduruwela
- 64/1 - Badulla/ Mahiyhanganaya /Batticaloa
- 64 - Badulla / Bibile / Ketawatta
- 64 - Haputhale / Bandarawela / Welimada / Nuwara Eliya
- 66 - Embilipitiya
- 69 - Matale
- 87 - Point Pedro
- 450 - Ratnapura
- E01 - Panadura - Matara
Bus routes heading through Panadura to/from Colombo:
- 02 - Ambalangoda / Galle / Matara
- 32 - Tangalle / Kataragama
- 24 - Awittawa / Udugama
- 60 - Morawaka / Middeniya / Akuressa / Deniyaya
- 393/3 - Baddegama
- 400 - Aluthgama
- 400/1 - Kalutara
- 401 - Elpitiya
- 412 - Meegama
- 428 - Walallawita
- 430 - Mathugama
- 433/4 - Agalawatta
- 434 - Dartonfield
- 435 - Pelawatta
- 435/1 - Rathmale
Health Care Facilities
"Kethumathi" is the 4th largest Hospital in Sri Lanka dedicated for Gynecology and Obstetrics situated at the heart of Panadura town just 10m from Galle-Colombo A2 road.This hospital is a comprehensive one with Neonatal ICU and bed capacity of 300 beds. A grade-1 Base Hospital situated near the Panadura Police station facing A2 road. Apart from this there are wide range of health care facilities run by the Government.
Public and Private Schools
- Agamathi Balika Vidyalaya Panadura
- Bauddhaloka Maha Vidyalaya Panadura
- Good Shepherd Convent Pandura
- Leeds International School Panadura
- Panadura Balika Vidyalaya Panadura
- Panadura Royal College
- St. John's College Panadura
- Sri Sumangala Balika Maha Vidyalaya
- Sri Sumangala Boys College
- Prof.Gunapala Piyasena Malalasekera - Sri Lankan academic, scholar and diplomat
- Dr.Premasiri Khemadasa - Music director,composer
- Arthur V. Dias - A planter by profession he is known as "Kos Mama"
- Dr.Nalin de Silva - Theoretical physicist, philosopher and a political analyst.
- Prof.Ravindra Fernando- Forensic Pathologist, Toxicologist Physician, author and academic.
- MSN Map - elevation = 1m
- Article on Colonel Olcott, Panadura and the revival of Buddhism in Sri Lanka