Tiralongo at the 2011 Tour de Romandie.
|Full name||Paolo Tiralongo|
8 July 1977 |
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||56 kg (120 lb)|
|Rider type||Climbing specialist|
|Infobox last updated on
28 October 2013
In 2009, while riding for Lampre-NGC, Tiralongo registered his best final result on a Grand Tour, finishing the Vuelta a Espana in eighth position after riding consistently in the mountain stages. He conceded a little over 9 minutes to the victor, Spaniard Alejandro Valverde of Caisse d'Epargne. He joined Astana for the 2010 season, on a 2-year contract. In 2011, Tiralongo took a notable victory on stage 19 of the Giro d'Italia, a summit finish to Macugnaga. He attacked in the final kilometers and went clear of the lead group, but was joined by Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-SunGard) in the final few meters. He came first on the line, taking his first victory in more than ten years.
In 2012, he won another stage in the Giro d'Italia, stage 7, which was a hilltop finish atop Rocca di Cambio. With 500 meters to go, the Astana rider followed an attack initiated by Michele Scarponi of Lampre-ISD and he passed Scarponi inside of the final 100 meters. He laid on the ground afterward, out of breath.
- 1st Overall Triptyque Ardennaise
- 2nd Trofeo dello Scalatore III
- 3rd Overall Österreich-Rundfahrt
- 6th GP Costa degli Etruschi
- 8th Giro Provincia di Siracusa - Trofeo Arancia Rossa
- 9th GP Industria & Artigianato di Larciano
- 10th Trofeo dello Scalatore I
- 2nd Overall Tour Méditerranéen
- 6th Overall Brixia Tour
- 8th Coppa Agostoni
- 10th Trofeo Pantalica
- 8th Overall Settimana Coppi e Bartali
- 10th Overall Giro del Trentino
- 1st Tour Down Under Mountains Classification
- 2nd Trofeo Melinda
- 2nd GP Citta di Rio Saliceto e Correggio
- 2nd Overall Brixia Tour
- 5th Giro Medio Brenta
- 7th Tre Valli Varesine
- 7th Giro della Romagna
- 8th Giro del Veneto
- 3rd Milano–Torino
- 3rd Trofeo Laigueglia
- 6th GP Fred Mengoni
- 6th Overall Settimana Coppi e Bartali
- 8th Giro d'Oro
- 6th Klasika Primavera
- 8th Overall Vuelta a España
- 10th Giro dell'Emilia
- 1st Stage 19 Giro d'Italia
- 1st Stage 7 Giro d'Italia
- 1st Stage 1 (TTT) Vuelta a España
Grand Tour general classification results timeline
WD = Withdrew; IP = In Progress
- "2009 Vuelta a Espana Stage 21/Final results". Bike World News (Disqus). 20 September 2009. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "2009 Tiralongo signs for Astana - Cyclingnews.com". Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Simon MacMichael (27 May 2011). "Giro d'Italia Stage 19: Astana's Tiralongo takes maiden win after 12 years as a pro". RoadCC (Farrelly Atkinson Ltd). Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Westemeyer, Susan (12 May 2012). "Giro d'Italia: Tiralongo wins into Rocca di Cambio". Cycling News (Future Publishing Limited). Retrieved 12 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paolo Tiralongo.|
- Paolo Tiralongo at Trap-Friis.dk. Archive copy at the Wayback Machine (archived 24 May 2011)
- Paolo Tiralongo profile at Cycling Archives
- Paolo Tiralongo's profile on Cycling Base
|This biographical article relating to Italian cycling is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|