US Route 321 facing south at Tennessee State Route 340, it now is a former alignment of US-321
Location of Parrottsville, Tennessee
|Named for||John Parrott (early settler)|
|• Total||0.4 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|• Land||0.4 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,191 ft (363 m)|
|• Density||660/sq mi (290/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1326851|
Parrottsville is located at .(36.009391, -83.091186)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 207 people, 79 households, and 60 families residing in the town. The population density was 572.5 people per square mile (222.0/km²). There were 85 housing units at an average density of 235.1 per square mile (91.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.20% White, 4.35% African American, and 1.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.48% of the population.
There were 79 households out of which 36.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 15.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.8% were non-families. 20.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 18.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 101.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,458, and the median income for a family was $30,000. Males had a median income of $26,607 versus $19,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,409. About 7.4% of families and 11.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.1% of those under the age of eighteen and 11.5% of those sixty five or over.
- Mayor: Mary Keller
- Judy Reed
- Charlene Cureton
- Town Recorder: Sheilah Strobel
- City Attorney: Jeff Greene
Parrottsville Elementary School is the only school in Parrottsville and it serves grades Kindergarten to Eighth grades.
- Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton, moonshiner
- History of Parrottsville, Tennessee, official town website. Retrieved: 24 January 2013.
- Tennessee Blue Book, 2005-2006, pp. 618-625.
- Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Certified Population of Tennessee Incorporated Municipalities and Counties, State of Tennessee website, 1 July 2011.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parrottsville, Tennessee.|