||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
12 November 1921|
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Died||19 December 1991
London, England, United Kingdom
Paul Maxwell (12 November 1921 – 19 December 1991) was a Canadian actor who worked mostly in British cinema and television, in which he was usually cast as American characters. In terms of audience, his most notable role was probably that of the ex-GI groom of Elsie Tanner in the character's 1967 wedding in the soap opera Coronation Street.
Life and career
Maxwell started as an actor in the U.S., appearing in series such as Dragnet and Alfred Hitchcock Presents before emigrating to Britain in 1960. In the next decade, Maxwell appeared in many TV series produced by ITC Entertainment, such as Danger Man and The Baron. He also voiced North American characters in series filmed by Gerry Anderson's production company Century 21, most prominently the leading character of Colonel Steve Zodiac in Fireball XL5 (1962) and the supporting character of Captain Grey in Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (1967).
Maxwell also starred as the "Man with the Panama Hat" in the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), as a C.I.A chief in The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976), and as General Maxwell Taylor in A Bridge Too Far (1977). His real passion, however, was theatre; he starred in the West End several times, with roles in Twelve Angry Men and the musical Promises, Promises. 
- The Haunting (1963) as Bud Fredericks (uncredited)
- Man in the Middle (1964)
- It! (1966)
- The Man Outside (1967)
- The Looking Glass War (1969)
- Madame Sin (1972)
- Baxter! (1973)
- The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
- Spy Story (1976)
- A Bridge Too Far (1977)
- Cry Wolf (1980)
- Sahara (1983)
- Aliens (1986)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- "Paul Maxwell". BFI.
- "Paul Maxwell". corrie.net.
- "Paul Maxwell (1921 - 1991) - Find A Grave Memorial". findagrave.com.
- "Randall and Hopkirk (Declassified) - Programmes". randallandhopkirk.org.uk.
- "Indiana-Jones-and-the-Last-Crusade - Cast, Crew, Director and Awards - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com.
- "Paul Maxwell". aveleyman.com.
- "A Bridge Too Far". BFI.
- "Paul Maxwell". TVGuide.com.
|This article about a Canadian actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|