Perception (U.S. TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Paperboy Productions
|Original run||July 9, 2012– present|
Perception is an American crime drama television series created by Kenneth Biller and Mike Sussman. The series stars Eric McCormack as Dr. Daniel Pierce, a schizophrenic neuropsychiatrist who assists the FBI on some of their most complex cases.
Dr. Daniel Pierce, a talented but eccentric neuropsychiatrist, is enlisted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to assist in solving some of its most complex cases in Chicago. Dr. Pierce works closely with Special Agent Kate Moretti, a former student who recruited him to work with the FBI. Also on the team are Max Lewicki, Dr. Pierce's teaching assistant and Natalie Vincent, his best friend.
Main cast 
- Eric McCormack as Dr. Daniel Pierce, a neuropsychiatrist and professor at the (fictional) Chicago Lake Michigan University (CLMU), who is enlisted by the FBI as an expert consultant to assist on some of their most complex cases. Dr. Pierce's interest in neuroscience stems from his own long history of paranoid schizophrenia. As a high-functioning schizophrenic, Pierce's hallucinations sometimes enable him to pick out subtle clues in solving crimes.
- Rachael Leigh Cook as Special Agent Kate Moretti, a former student of Pierce (who describes her as his "best student") and the FBI agent who recruited him. It is revealed that Kate's reassignment back to Chicago is a demotion for her tendency to "go beyond the scope of the assignments". She had a crush on Pierce during her college years and is his most trusting ally.
- Arjay Smith as Max Lewicki, Dr. Pierce's live-in teaching assistant, who helps him differentiate between real people and his schizophrenia-induced hallucinations. It is later revealed in the season 1 episode "Nemesis" that the two met when Lewicki was working as an orderly at the same psychiatric hospital Pierce had been confined for his mental illness. Pierce then asked Lewicki to come with him to Chicago on the promise of a teaching assistantship to help Max finish graduate school.
- Kelly Rowan as Natalie Vincent, Dr. Pierce's imaginary best friend and adviser. In the season one finale, it is revealed that Natalie is Daniel's imagined version of Caroline Newsome (also played by Rowan), with whom he became infatuated — but never actually met — at a college party, and whom he re-encounters years later as his psychiatrist during his hospitalization in Season 1. Daniel is stunned to realize that he created an entire relationship with a woman he only saw at a party and Caroline says it is better she not treat him afterward due to that delusion, but agrees to become his friend in real life.
Recurring cast 
- LeVar Burton as Paul Haley, a professor of philosophical theology and Pierce's dean at CLMU. He and Pierce are close friends since they were roommates in college.
- Jonathan Scarfe as FBI Agent Roger Probert, Kate's work partner, who is very cynical of Dr. Pierce's judgements.
- Jamie Bamber as Dr. Michael Hathaway, a handsome hotshot professor newly recruited at the university, for whom Pierce has little respect. He is romantically interested in Kate.
Development and production 
Originally known as "Proof", Perception was created by Kenneth Biller and Mike Sussman and appeared on TNT's development slate as early as 2009. On September 8, 2010, after having been in development for well over a year, TNT placed a pilot order for Perception. Kenneth Biller and Mike Sussman wrote the pilot, Alan Poul was attached to the project as director, with Kenneth Biller, Mike Sussman and Alan Poul serving as executive producers. Neuroscientist David Eagleman serves as the technical consultant to the series.
Casting announcements began in October 2010, with Eric McCormack first to be cast, McCormack portrays Dr. Geoffrey (later renamed Daniel) Pierce, "an eccentric neuroscientist who uses his unique outlook to help the federal government solve complex cases. With an intimate knowledge of human behavior and a masterful understanding of the mind, this quirky, crime-solving professor pulls lessons from an odd and imaginative view of the world." Next to join the series was Arjay Smith as Max Lewicki, "Pierce's teaching assistant, a perpetual student who has spent nine years in college and has had sixteen majors and not a single degree. His primary job is to keep Pierce in line and on task." Rachael Leigh Cook was next to be cast as Kate Rossi, "Pierce’s former student and the person responsible for recruiting him to work for the government." Kelly Rowan was the last actor to be cast, portraying Natalie Vincent, "Pierce’s best friend and every bit his intellectual equal."
On March 22, 2011, TNT green-lighted the series with an order of 10 episodes to air in the summer of 2012. Along with the series pickup, TNT announced that Alan Poul would not be continuing as an executive producer on the series beyond the pilot; they also announced that the character portrayed by McCormack had been renamed Daniel Pierce.
On August 17, 2011, TNT announced that production had commenced on the remaining nine episodes of Perception. Along with the announcement that production had started on the series, the network announced that Levar Burton had joined the series as a recurring guest star; he portrays Paul Haley, "a dean at the university." TNT also announced that the character portrayed by Cook had been renamed Kate Moretti. The series is produced by ABC Studios.
International distribution 
|United States||TNT||July 9, 2012|
|Canada||Séries+ (in French)||March 19, 2013|
|Australia||Universal||April 3, 2013|
|Poland||Fox||August 10, 2012|
|Mexico||AXN||August 20, 2012|
|Argentina||AXN||August 20, 2012|
|Hong Kong||TVB Pearl||September 11, 2012|
|United Kingdom||Watch||October 3, 2012|
|Portugal||AXN||November 5, 2012|
|Brazil||AXN||November 7, 2012|
|Italy||Fox||November 28, 2012|
|India||Zee Café||January 19, 2013|
|Spain||AXN||October 1, 2012|
|Turkey||Dizimax Vice||October 2, 2012|
|Belgium||RTL-TVI (in French)||March 6, 2013|
|South Africa||DStv||November 5, 2012|
|Japan||AXN Mystery||April 20, 2013|
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 22, 2011). "It's Official: TNT Picks Up 'Perception' To Series, Renews 'Southland' For Season 4". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 15, 2012). "TNT Announces Premiere Dates for 'The Closer', 'Falling Skies', 'Leverage', 'Rizzoli & Isles' 'Franklin & Bash'+ Four Brand New Series". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Berkshire, Geoff (May 1, 2013). "'Major Crimes,' 'Perception' earn extra episode orders at TNT". Zap2It. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Dr. Daniel Pierce". TNT. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "FBI Agent Kate Moretti". TNT. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "Max Lewicki". TNT. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "Natalie Vincent". TNT. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "About the Show". TNT. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (May 20, 2009). "TNT, TBS and truTV Showcase Upcoming Series and Unveil Development Slate at 2009 Upfront". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 8, 2010). "TNT & TBS Pick Up 4 Pilots Including 'Dallas'". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "TNT and TBS Order Pilots for Four Potential Series". Turner Newsroom. September 8, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 12, 2010). "Several Television Pilots Land Directors". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 28, 2010). "It's Official: Eric McCormack To Star In TNT Pilot 'Perception'". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "Emmy Winner Eric McCormack Signs Up for Lead Role in TNT’s Pilot PERCEPTION". Turner Newsroom. October 28, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 9, 2010). "Steven Weber And D.L. Hughley Set As The Leads Of Allan Loeb's TNT Pilot". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 16, 2010). "Rachael Leigh Cook To Star Opposite Eric McCormack in TNT Pilot 'Perception'". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 2, 2010). "TV CASTINGS: Female Additions To HBO's 'Veep', TNT's 'Perception' And FX's 'Wilfred'". Deadline. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "TNT Gives Green Light to PERCEPTION, New Drama Series Starring Emmy® Winner Eric McCormack". Turner Newsroom. March 22, 2011. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "TNT Begins Production on Perception, New Drama Series Starring Emmy® Winner Eric McCormack". Turner Newsroom. August 17, 2011. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "'EXCLUSIVE: 'Battlestar's' Jamie Bamber Nabs TNT Role, 'Caprica' Vet Invades 'Alphas' & Intel on 'Blood and Chrome'". AOL TV. August 22, 2011.
- "TNTPR twitter". October 14, 2011.
- "Eric McCormack’s Perception Adds Freddie Rodriguez to Its Long Guest Roster". October 14, 2011.
- Munn, Patrick (August 20, 2012). "Watch Acquires UK Rights To ‘Perception’". TVWise. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Munn, Patrick (August 28, 2012). "Watch Sets UK Premiere Date For ‘Perception’". TVWise. Retrieved September 21, 2012.