Peter Jöback during Stockholm Pride 2007
|Birth name||Peter Arne Jöback|
4 June 1971 |
|Genres||Pop, Musical theatre|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, musical artist, actor, songwriter, pianist, guitarist|
|Instruments||Voice, piano, guitar|
|Website||Official web site|
Early life and education
Peter Jöback got his big break through his collaboration with ABBA's Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. In their musical Kristina från Duvemåla (The Emigrants) at Malmö Opera and Music Theatre, Jöback created the role of Robert and his theme song, “Guldet blev till sand”, broke every record in the Swedish charts. The musical was seen by over one million Swedes and the original cast CD-box became a triple-platinum album and received several Swedish Grammy awards. Jöback received his first Golden Mask for his role as Robert.
Cameron Mackintosh discovered Peter Jöback’s talent and offered him the lead as Chris in Miss Saigon at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in London’s West End in 1997. Three years later at the same theatre, Jöback created the role of Michael in Macintosh’s original production of The Witches of Eastwick.
His many stage performances and albums have been met with critical acclaim. Jöback’s Christmas album was released in 2002. On this album Jöback teamed up with Norwegian singer Ms Sissel Kyrkjebø in a duet of the Irish folk song “Be thou my vision” in a Swedish translation. The duo have since been frequent guests at each other’s concerts.
In 2004 Jöback collaborated with the internationally renowned Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Nick Davies in a project called Storybook where he performed classic songs in brand new arrangements. GSO and Jöback released a CD which became a Gold Disc and also performed two concerts in the Globe Arena and Scandinavium Arena in Sweden. The album also brought Jöback to a superstar status in Norway. His first solo tour there in 2005 was a success both with audience and media.
During 2006–2007 Peter Jöback starred as the MC in a production of Cabaret in Stockholm and Gothenburg. He received critical praise as well as his second Golden Mask Tony Award. He already in 2003 performed as the MC at Gladsaxe Theatre in Copenhagen.
Jöback ended 2008 with a sold-out Christmas tour in arenas in Scandinavia following the release of a new 4x platinum-selling Christmas album. In 2007 he also toured Scandinavia with his platinum-selling studio album with original songs co-written by himself. In January 2009 Jöback moved to New York to get new inspiration and make new acquaintances. This has resulted in an album entitled East Side Stories, recorded in Woodstock, featuring prominent guests such as Kate Pierson from the The B52's, Sia Furler, Gail Ann Dorsey and the group Betty.
Peter Jöback entered Melodifestivalen 2010 the Swedish Pre-selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2010. He received a wildcard from SVT. His song, "Hollow", reached the final of the competition, ultimately finishing in 9th position. In 2011, Jöback performed in the finale of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall. In 2012 Jöback starred as the Phantom in the London production of The Phantom of the Opera. He is currently[when?] playing the Phantom on Broadway until August 24 and then he will return to his homeland to do a tour there.
- 2013: "I Love Musicals – The Album"
- 2012: Jag kommer hem igen till jul – Jubileumsutgåva
- 2011: Livet, kärleken och döden – La vie, l'amour, la mort
- 2010: En kväll med Petros (Live Album)
- 2009: East Side stories
- 2008: Himlen är inget tak (A live CD with Eva Dahlgren)
- 2007: Människor som du och jag
- 2006: Flera sidor av samma man (double CD compilation)
- 2004: Storybook
- 2004: Det här är platsen
- 2003: Jag kommer hem igen till jul (new version with extra song)
- 2002: Jag kommer hem igen till jul
- 2002: I Feel Good And I'm Worth It
- 2000: Only When I Breathe
- 1997: Personliga val
- 1993: Peter Jöback
- 2011: "Jag kommer hem igen till jul"
- 2009: "Sing", with Kate Pierson
- 2008: "Himlen är inget tak", with Eva Dahlgren
- 2007: "Han är med mig nu", featuring Annika Norlin [Säkert]
- 2007: "Stockholm i natt"
- 2007: "Italy vs Helsinki", together with the band Laakso
- 2007: "Jag står för allt jag gjort"
- 2006: "Jag blundar i solens sken"
- 2004: "Sommarens sista sång"
- 2004: "Du har förlorat mer än jag"
- 2003: "Gå inte förbi", duet with Sissel Kyrkjebø
- 2002: "She's Like A Butterfly"
- 2002: "Sinner"
- 2001: "Under My Skin"
- 2000: "Tonight"
- 2000: "Higher"
- 1999: "Hon ser inte mig"
- 1998: "Vem ser ett barn"
- 1997: "En sång om oss"
- 1996: "Guldet blev till sand"
- 1993: "Nu när jag funnit dig"
- 1993: "Det ingen annan vet"
- 1993: "Du är min längtan"
- 1992: "More Than A Game"
- 1991: "This Time"
- 1990: "Let's Kiss (Like Angels Do)"
- 1990: "En sensation"
- 2007: Cabaret
- 2000: The Witches Of Eastwick
- 1999: 16 Favoriter ur Kristina från Duvemåla
- 1996: Kristina från Duvemåla
- 1994: Aladdin Jafars Återkomst
- 1993: Fame – The Musical
- 1993: Aladdin
- 1992: Rockmusikalen Grease
Musicals and other shows
- 2013: The Phantom of the Opera, The Majestic Theatre, New York
- 2012: The Phantom of the Opera, Her Majesty's Theatre, London
- 2009: En Julkonsert
- 2008: En Julkonsert
- 2007: Cabaret, in Gothenburg
- 2006: Cabaret, in Stockholm
- 2005: Rhapsody in rock, Sweden tour
- 2005: Concert tour in Norway
- 2003: Cabaret, in Copenhagen
- 2000: Stuart Little
- 2000: The Witches of Eastwick, in London
- 1999: Där Regnbågen Slutar
- 1998: Jesus Christ Superstar
- 1998: Personliga Val – Live
- 1998: Peter Jöback Show
- 1997: Miss Saigon, in London
- 1997: Peter Jöback – A Musical Voyage
- 1995–98: Kristina Från Duvemåla
- 1994–95: Musical Express 1 & 2
- 1994: Djungelboken
- 1993–94: Fame
- 1993: Aladdin
- 1991–92: Grease
- 1990: West Side Story
- 1990: Melodifestivalen
- 1988: Här & Nu
- 1984–85: Kavallerijungfrun
- 1983–84: Snövit (Snow white)
- 1982–84: Sound Of Music
- 1982–83: Mio Min Mio
- Peter Jöback's official site (English and Swedish)
- Official myspace (English)
- Unofficial site (English)
- Label official site (Swedish)
- Management official site (Swedish)