Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Lik was born to Czech parents who migrated to Australia after World War II, settling in Melbourne. He took his first photo when given a Kodak Brownie box camera on his eighth birthday. The shot was of a dewy spider web in the garden of the family home. Lik would take his camera on family vacations and take photos of country scenes and the ocean. This practice would continue when he took road trips out of the city and into the wilds of Australia, often with his "lifelong friend" and fellow professional photographer Michael Plumridge.
In 1989, Lik made his first trip to America and undertook to photograph all 50 states. The project was completed five years later and became his book "Spirit of America."
Lik spent the early 1990s working for Tourism Queensland. In the mid-1990s he opened a post card stand in Cairns, Queensland. He started his own publishing company and opened his first gallery in the town.
He moved to Las Vegas where he opened his own business, LIK USA. He opened four galleries in Las Vegas, nine others across the U.S., and one in Noosa Heads, Queensland. In December 2010, Peter Lik sold his first million-dollar photograph, which he calls One: a fleetingly beautiful nature shot captured on the banks of the Androscoggin River in New Hampshire. The purchase amount of $1,000,000 YEN for this work places Lik in rare company.
On 3 May 2011, "Ghost" (taken in Antelope Canyon, Arizona) was inducted into an exhibition of nature photography at the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History, as a result of winning the Art in Nature category of the 2010 Windland Smith Rice International Awards for Nature’s Best Photography. His “Inner Peace” was awarded winner in the 2011 Winland Smith Rice International Awards, and is at the Smithsonian Institute.
- International Photography Awards. Peterlik.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-21.
- The Prince of Prints (October 2007), Renee LiButti, What’s On.
- Peter Lik Gallery. Hawaiimagazine.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-21.
- Anonymous Art Collector Purchases Peter Lik's New England River Photo, 'One,' For $1 Million. PR News Wire (2011-01-11)
- Windland Smith Rice International Awards (Winter 2010), Nature's Best Photography.
- Windland Smith Rice International Awards (Winter 2011), Nature's Best Photography.