19 May 1944 |
Barnes, London, England
|Residence||Boyd, Texas, United States|
|Citizenship||United Kingdom, United States|
|Home town||Barnes, London, England|
|Height||7 ft 3 in (2.21 m)|
|Spouse(s)||Angie Luker (1999–present)|
|Peter Mayhew on Twitter|
He got his first acting job in 1976 when the producers of Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger discovered Mayhew from a photograph in a newspaper article about men with large feet, and they cast him in the role of the minotaur.
When casting roles for his first Star Wars film, producer George Lucas needed a tall actor who could fit the role of the beastly Chewbacca. He originally had in mind 6 feet 6 inches (1.98 m) bodybuilder David Prowse, but he was instead cast to play Darth Vader. This led Lucas on a search which turned up Mayhew, who says that all he had to do to be cast in the role of Chewbacca was stand up.
Mayhew has played the part of Chewbacca in four Star Wars films: the original trilogy (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. He also played the role in the 1978 television film Star Wars Holiday Special as well as in an appearance on The Muppet Show and also recorded dialogue for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 3 finale episode "Wookiee Hunt".
Mayhew also plays the role in commercials and for hospital appearances for sick children. When cast in the role, he studied the movement of large animals at the zoo to come up with an authentic sense of movement for Chewbacca. When Mayhew grew ill in the shooting of The Empire Strikes Back, a similarly tall stand in was used, but the actor could not match Mayhew's studied movement style and the scenes had to be re-shot upon Mayhew's recovery. Mayhew did not provide the voice of Chewbacca; that was created by the film's sound designer, Ben Burtt, by mixing together the growls of different animals.
Mayhew has made numerous appearances as Chewbacca outside the Star Wars films. Mayhew as Chewbacca was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Film Awards 1997. He was additionally honoured at the release of the new PlayStation Portable where he dressed as Chewbacca and held up the new PSP slim version.
Mayhew now lives in Boyd, Texas and is a business owner. He became a naturalized citizen of the United States on 17 October 2005 at a ceremony in Arlington, Texas. In an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he jokingly noted that he didn't get a medal at this ceremony either, a reference to the Star Wars scene in which Luke and Han get medals but Chewbacca does not. Mayhew did state in an MTV interview that although he didn't get a medal in the film, he did get the last line: one of Chewbacca's roars.
His peak height was 7 feet 3 inches (2.21 m) tall.
- "Entertainment". Washington (PA) Observer-Reporter. 2009-05-19. p. C6.
- Remaking Wookiee: Chewbacca Becomes a Character on ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’, retrieved 2011-05-31
- The Clone Wars Episode Guide: Wookiee Hunt, StarWars.com, retrieved 2011-04-01
- Chewbacca Making Dallas-Area Appearances | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
- "Star Wars actor who played Chewbacca to become American citizen". The Canadian Press. 2005-10-12. p. 16.
- 'Star Wars' actor, others pledge their allegiance, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, People Watch, Metro Section, page B2, October 18, 2005.
- Interview - Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca Speaks!), 2008-04-30
- All about Peter Mayhew
- Wookie knee repair: 'Star Wars' actor Peter Mayhew hopes to walk again after Fort Worth surgery, at the Dallas Morning News; published September 11, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Mayhew.|