Peter Stevens (car designer)
He worked as a design consultant and tutor for the Royal College of Art Vehicle Design department for his early career.
He spent five years as chief designer at Lotus Cars in the 1980s, where he developed the Esprit revision and designed the Lotus Elan (M100). He then became Chief Designer at McLaren Cars and was responsible for the design of the McLaren F1, launched in 1993. After a spell as chief designer at Lamborghini, he returned to the UK, undertaking consultancy for Prodrive, BMW, Williams and Toyota. Alongside his automotive design consultancy, he became Visiting Professor of Vehicle Design at the Royal College of Art, London. He was appointed as design director at the MG Rover Group in 2000.
Following the demise of MG Rover in 2005, as consultant director of design for Mahindra and Mahindra in India. Stevens oversaw the introduction of the M&M GIO and the sell-out M&M XUV500.
Currently, Stevens is a currently a consultant designer and Visiting Professor of Vehicle Design at London's Royal College of Art. He is involved in the design and application of hybrid technology, including a high performance electric race car, and innovative, energy efficient public transportation solutions.
Twice nominated as the UK’s Prince Philip Designer of the Year, Peter Stevens has won numerous honours for his work including 2002 Automotive Designer of the Year by AutoCar Magazine. His work includes creating road and race cars for McLaren, Lamborghini, BMW, Lotus, MG Rover and Prodrive. His well-known designs include the McLaren F1 road car, the 1999 Le Mans-winning BMW, the Lotus Elan, Subaru’s Impreza P1 and world rally series–winning WRC as well as Jaguar’s XJR-15.
Some of his designs include;
- Jaguar XJR-15
- Lotus Elan M100
- McLaren F1
- Lotus Esprit (redesign)
- Subaru '555' WRC Imprezas
- Subaru Impreza P1 and Prodrive P2 (also based on an Impreza engine)
- MG ZR, ZS, ZT & MG TF
- MG XPower SV
- "Rivian Automotive, Economic Engine?". Florida Trend. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- "Renowned Auto Designer Peter Stevens Joins Rivian Automotive". BusinessWire. 21 July 2011. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "MG ROVER GROUP SCOOP AUTOCAR’S ANNUAL AWARDS". MG Cars. 20 November 2002. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "McLaren F1 Designer Signs on with Florida Startup". 22 July 2011. Retrieved 22 July 2011.